Android Question Another Question About Missing Files in Windows Explorer

cougar

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a question that I have seen asked in one form or another on various forums. However, I am hoping to find a much clearer answer to the question.

A little about my app. It allows the user to create Job folders. Each one of these Job folders is stored in DirDefaultExternal (there is no actual SD Card in the tablet). So, the structure would be app/files/JobFolder

My app creates an Export folder during its export routine. This folder is currently created in the Job folder...EX: app/files/JobFolder/Export

All exported .csv files are sent to this folder...so I would end up with EX: app/files/JobFolder/Export/somefile.txt

I can view them with no problem on the device and, when viewed with Windows Explorer, I can sometimes view the Export folder but not always. I can never view the files within the Export folder. My users need to be able to access the .csv files to import into their own systems so it's very important that they be able to navigate to the files via Windows Explorer. I have 'show hidden files' selected everywhere that I know I should but still no luck. What really confuses me is the fact that the Export folder sometimes shows up in Windows Explorer but not always. I don't only have problems with the Export folder though. I can sometimes copy/paste a file from Export into another location and it may or may not be visible in Windows Explorer.

I have read about refreshes/rebooting, etc. but beyond clicking refresh or turning off the computer/device and re-starting, I'm not sure what is meant by this. That turning off routine doesn't work either.

In my case, I will actually be supplying a tablet with my app so even if there is a third party tool (similar to ActiveSync, etc.) that will somehow "make" these files visible in Windows Explorer I would be happy with that. I currently use ES File Explorer on the device but this is of no use to the user on his/her computer.

If it's a matter of changing my file structure, I would be more than happy to do that. Any suggestions that would allow the user to have access to these files on a consistent basis would be greatly appreciated. I would much prefer to be able to use the Export folder, regardless of where I have to store it, so I can allow the user to be able to delete these files on a regular basis without inadvertently interfering with other files.

I am still coming to grips with Android although B4A is incredible and I am thankful to have discovered it. I am especially grateful to Klaus for his "Simple Database" example. He took a long-winded question from me about building a simple database and provided an example that finally gave me the motivation to build the app that was fluttering around in my brain. Thanks Klaus!

I apologize for being long-winded but that's my nature and I just want to make certain I provide all necessary information. And, again, I have read numerous posts about this issue but I just haven't found the answer that works for me.

I greatly appreciate your assistance! Thanks!

cougar

Licensed User
Longtime User
No link to .apk. Will not be distributed that way but, rather, installed directly to the tablet itself and leased to the user. Several users standing by now, which is why it's very important that I figure this out...ha. I'm not real sure about the MTP/Mass Storage/Camera part of your statement. I have looked under Settings for that and I know I saw it somewhere at some point but I can't recall where. I simply connect the tablet to my laptop (Windows 7) via USB and then view the files once detected and displayed by Windows. Where the MPT/Mass Storage settings might be located would be appreciated. Thanks for your response!

Upvote 0

cougar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Think I found it. Found option to connect as Camera (PTP) rather than Media Device (MTP). Changed to camera. Will see what happens.

Upvote 0

cougar

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK. That obviously didn't work since it only opened up the Pictures folder...ha. I guess I should have known that changing it to Camera wouldn't work but you live and learn. I'm fairly sure you didn't mean for me to select Camera either...ha

Upvote 0

cougar

Licensed User
Longtime User
I believe I found my answer here. Working perfectly now. Not sure how I missed this thread before. So, for anyone with the same issue...this might be your answer. I pasted the short piece of Erel's code at the end of my routine (just after the .csv file is created) and simply replaced "example.txt" with my full path/filename and it worked. Thanks Erel!

http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/text-file-cannot-be-seen-in-windows.23250/

Upvote 0