Any thoughts on laptop brands?

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
HEh HEH HEH - I found this popped up in a search :
1595968156484.png

Mmmmm they left out 'Don't use it - '
I have NEVER had problems with SSDs
BTW not that its relevant : but does Dell still have that thing where if a part needs to be replaced, or, you want to add a board or whatever, it has to be a Dell bit (ie no third party options)
This is not my experience - have on several occasions added stock standard RAM, hard drives etc from 3rd parties to Dell systems.
Also I have heard that Dell "tweaks" the OS around its proprietary hardware (well maybe they all do). But I recall hearing that Dell is particularly special on this. It seemed that like Windows 10 - you're not quite the administrator you think you are.
Old wives tale - I have never witnessed this - and I think I am extremely Windows literate (as far back as Windows 3.1 and down to writing stuff with Windows APIs)
BTW I have broken the ice with SSDs despite the MTBF on solid state allegedly having a finite number of read / write cycles. Its just SOOOO much stuff to loose with a REALLY expensive send-away recovery plan. Had to do that with a colleague's HDD a few years ago - Ping and OUCH in the wallet for her.........
You should always assume everything is going to fail - I have a rigorous backup system in place for all important stuff - to NAS, thumbdrive and private AWS cloud - but never had to use it because of SSD failure.

Last edited:

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll end up with a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3
I had in mind to seriously look at Surface for my next laptop - and did so when the time came - but Dell was offering ridiculous discounts on pretty much what I wanted spec wise.

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just an aside suggestion...

When I bought my last desktop I splurged and bought a Dell U2917W monitor.

It was a extravagance (or so I thought) but the number of times I have used it (eg comparing B4A and B4i code) are endless - once you have it you use it, with a consequent increase in productivity and reduction in frustration.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
once you have it you use it, with a consequent increase in productivity and reduction in frustration.
Agreed there is NOTHING like multiple monitors and their expanded real estate. While working I had three, And, that thing in #8 looks really useful : except for a totally unuseful price . . . . .Well worth the extra money to get at least an extra one.

LendelS

According to my user experience Asus is much better than others. Besides, the price is not so high as well.

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I recently took delivery of a Dell XPS 13 7390 2-in-1

Several times more powerful and bigger screen than my old one and weighs less.

So far very pleased...