Android Question App not installed problem

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've committed the cardinal error of changing multiple things at once. Now it's tough to troubleshoot.

I've moved to a new computer. When I did that I moved the c:\b4a folder over, the c:\android folder over, and my project folder, named ODD.

I put the project folder in a new place, under 'documents'

I installed the jdk v8 and set the path here: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_211\bin\javac.exe

Then I updated b4a from v8.5 to v9.0.12

When I ran b4a Bridge (v 2.55) it wouldn't install the compiled app. It failed with the message "app not installed". I've since determined this failure has nothing to do with b4a Bridge. I just can't update my app.

I then questioned whether the sdk files were up to snuff, so I reinstalled the SDK from the "ready to run" zip supplied by Erel late last year (thanks for the tip, Erel). Nope - that didn't do it.

I did update the android jar path to C:\android\platforms\android-28\android.jar (from 27)

Worth noting that I use the infamous old "debug.keystore". However, I've brought the old one (November, 2010) to the new computer (c:\b4a) and also set the key to "use debug key" under "private sign key". This app is under *very* limited private distribution. I would change the key if I could, but it's not a simple distribution.

I can't figure it out. "App not installed" is a very generic message.

Clean installs are perfect. Just not installs over older versions.

What has gone wrong? I'd appreciate any insights you may have.

Thanks,

- Don

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Worth installing the app with USB debug mode instead of B4A-Bridge. It will give you more information about the problem.

Ok, I did that and receive the error "Existing application is installed with a different certificate". A search of this forum shows no android hits for that message.

Is this a reference to the debug (or other) keystore? I thought I had brought that over and used it. How can I tell what the "certificates" are?

I can still install successfully from my old computer. There are some code updates on the new machine/b4a version but nothing requiring new permissions.

Where should I look now?

Thanks
b4a-cert-error.jpg

Upvote 0

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
This means that you are not using the same signing key as before.

Ok, that seems logical. I thought I was using the debug key and had successfully transferred it to my new computer.

How do I find out what the previous key was? How do I transfer it to the new computer?

Thanks

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How do I transfer it to the new computer?
copy the file from pc 1 to pc 2 and configure the ide to use it
How do I find out what the previous key was?
YOU must know. We can not guess what you did defined here in the past (and where you stored the keystore).

Upvote 0

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Please see image attached - both versions (both computers) are using the "debug keystore".

Both computers (both versions) have the file debug.keystore in the b4a program directory. The files are identical as reported by a diff program and are the same size and date (11/25/2010).

I can't install a 9,0 compile over an 8.5 compile from the previous computer.

So, yes, I have confirmed what keystore is being used. It's not working.

Where should I look next? Could this be related to a different Java version?

I appreciate your assistance. I'm stuck.

Attachments

• b4a-85-90-compile.jpg
    b4a-85-90-compile.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Could this be related to a different Java version?
I don't think so.

Unzip the APK file and look for a file with a DSA extension, under the META-INF.
Is the file name the same in both APKs?

You can run this command to get information about the signing key:
B4X:
<java bin>\keytool -printcert -file B4A.DSA

Upvote 0

doncx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Unzip the APK file and look for a file with a DSA extension, under the META-INF.
Is the file name the same in both APKs?
[/code]

Thank you, Erel. The DSA files were very different. That pointed me in the right direction. Problem solved. I thought b4a was running in c:\b4a, where I had copied my old version over which I'd intended to install the upgrade to v9. However, likely due to my own inattention, the new version installed to c:\Program Files (x86). I copied the old debug.keystore to the wrong folder.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Upvote 0