iOS Question App rejected

Sasuke Sama

Licensed User
Hello B4I community.
Im having some troubles accepting my app on the app store.
I have uploaded two apps both are completely different.
Apple rejected them both with this message:
Guideline 4.2.2 - Design - Minimum Functionality

We noticed that your app’s main functionality is to market your service, with limited or no user-facing interactive features or functionality. Apps that are primarily marketing materials or advertisements are not appropriate for the App Store.
The app has nothing to do with any marketing stuff or advertising
It dosent even have ads yet.
I tried explaining to them this over and over but they keep sending the same message above :/
My apps are a news app about technology and stuff.
And the other is a map app that shows 5G towers and info about them ...etc
The first app was accepted but then i submitted an update which fixes some bugs and didnt change or add anything but was rejected
Any advice would be nice

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Hello B4I community.
Im having some troubles accepting my app on the app store.
I have uploaded two apps both are completely different.
Apple rejected them both with this message:
Guideline 4.2.2 - Design - Minimum Functionality

We noticed that your app’s main functionality is to market your service, with limited or no user-facing interactive features or functionality. Apps that are primarily marketing materials or advertisements are not appropriate for the App Store.
The app has nothing to do with any marketing stuff or advertising
It dosent even have ads yet.
I tried explaining to them this over and over but they keep sending the same message above :/
And the other is a map app that shows 5G towers and info about them ...etc
The first app was accepted but then i submitted an update which fixes some bugs and didnt change or add anything but was rejected
Any advice would be nice

The main thing you have to consider here is : "with limited or no user-facing interactive features or functionality." , this means your app is not designed well. You need a brand new design and functionality or it will keep rejected according to my experience.

Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
I agree with @tufanv

If your app wraps websites and offers little else in functionality for the user, then this guideline is usually evoked by Apple as their stand point is then "Why not direct the user to the Website rather"

Also remember that Apple have several centres for checking your app, so if one person accepts it - then another could reject it because they look at different things.

I was rejected on several occasions and for reasons ranging from infringement of trademarks to questioning me about how my system worked and why a South African Id number was required for identification.

My advice is to use the appeals process on your Apple account and in this way you get a better (usually) understanding of where you can improve your app or the opportunity to clear any misunderstanding that might be present by your reviewer.

Good Luck !!

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
sometimes it's enough to just change the version number and upload it again.

as Bill wrote it depends on who reviews it.

but indeed they filter out 'apps' that are just webviews pointing to a website (yes, they test apps with wifi off) as their interface is not 'app'-enough.

Upvote 0

Sasuke Sama

Licensed User
I tried to add more stuff to it i almost submitted 10 binaries each with new features but still the same the app also has no webview or any website related things so it should be fine as well
Could it be that they flag rejected apps somehow? Thats the only thing that i can think about
Also if i leave my app as rejected and kept the accepted version on the store will they remove it at some point?
Anyway thank you everyone for your advice i will try them out and update this post
I was almost going to give up but thanx to you guys i have a bit more hope now

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
It is usually not taken down if it is just a design problem. For the update, I can say that if someone is rejected it for the design, next reviewer usually check the previous rejection and makes the review with that info so it is likely to be rejected again.

Upvote 0

Sasuke Sama

Licensed User
It is usually not taken down if it is just a design problem. For the update, I can say that if someone is rejected it for the design, next reviewer usually check the previous rejection and makes the review with that info so it is likely to be rejected again.
man i never thought apple is like this
i mean why would they ever do this? goggle dosent and they are fine microsoft and the store is really easy and simple why cant apple just be like them
i fell like they dont want to give a chance for new and small developers

Upvote 0

GGSoft

Licensed User

Few days ago I finished a similar winding trip with that company's people. After several sending_and_rejecting cycle and reviewing their App Store Review Guidelines I came into the idea to change the app's category.

When you "show" stuff in your app, they expect it to be categorized as "catalog" (see 4.2.2 from the cited document); but that category does not exist any more in the App Store Connect, so I used "compras" in spanish, meaning "purchase", "buy", etc.

That made them happy.

Upvote 0

Sasuke Sama

Licensed User
Few days ago I finished a similar winding trip with that company's people. After several sending_and_rejecting cycle and reviewing their App Store Review Guidelines I came into the idea to change the app's category.

When you "show" stuff in your app, they expect it to be categorized as "catalog" (see 4.2.2 from the cited document); but that category does not exist any more in the App Store Connect, so I used "compras" in spanish, meaning "purchase", "buy", etc.

That made them happy.
Can you please explain where exactly you put the word? Do you mean the app name or where?

Upvote 0

GGSoft

Licensed User
Can you please explain where exactly you put the word? Do you mean the app name or where?

App Store Connect > YourApp > App information > Category

Note: App Store Connect says: "To modify the name of the application, category or privacy policy, create a new version of the application. All other changes are available in the App Store."

Regards.

Upvote 0

Sasuke Sama

Licensed User
App Store Connect > YourApp > App information > Category

Note: App Store Connect says: "To modify the name of the application, category or privacy policy, create a new version of the application. All other changes are available in the App Store."

Regards.
Tried that but with no luck
i wish someone will but an end to apples policy i didnt buy a developer account to keep getting rejected i bought the store with my money i should be able to publish whatever i want even if its an empty app that dose nothing as long as it dosent harm the device or anything right?

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
they only want 'good' apps to land on their end users devices.

this is the main difference with for example Google Play where a lot of crap apps are available.

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Tried that but with no luck
i wish someone will but an end to apples policy i didnt buy a developer account to keep getting rejected i bought the store with my money i should be able to publish whatever i want even if its an empty app that dose nothing as long as it dosent harm the device or anything right?
No this is not right. You can't publish anything you want. There are terms of use and developer guidelines which you have to obey. If they let any app into store, it would be a junk store.

Upvote 0

Sasuke Sama

Licensed User
No this is not right. You can't publish anything you want. There are terms of use and developer guidelines which you have to obey. If they let any app into store, it would be a junk store.
I didnt mean empty apps for real but what im trying to say that some apps are simple but they do their purpose whether it was a business app a map app a shops app etc.
Apple wants apps to work on more than country, have lots of features, have interactive stuff but not every apps needs that to be an "app"

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Yes you are right unfortunately but if it is rejected nothing to do :( You have to make a new design for that.

Upvote 0