B4J Library Asynchronous modbus TCP master

Hello everyone,

Here a modbus TCP master library, fully programmed in b4j.
This library is asynchronous, by use of the asyncstreams and Callback method.
The response is an event, a separate sub, different then your sub where you did the request.
This has the advantage that an unresponsive server will not slow down your application.

The zip file here is a command line example, with the library.
You can compile this library as internal library as desired, but like this, you can look inside the code of the lib.

Supported functions:
-Read holding registers
-Read input registers
-Read coils
-Read discrete inputs
-Write single register
-Write multiple registers
-Write single coil
-Write multiple coils

Please note that I am not a professional programmer, so comments or feedback is always appreciated!

Kind regards,
Coldrestart.

** UPDATE on 25/07/2020**
Changes made in the library in the GUI version;
-Fixed typo in function name.
-TCP port and IP address are now in the Connect function instead of the initialization of the object.

**UPDATE on 18/08/2020**
Added: type selection, only for the representation, in signed, unsigned, hex and binary.

**UPDATE on 22/09/2020**
Changes made in the CLI version:
-The port and IP adress are passed when using the function "ConnectServer", instead of the initialization function.
Changes made for the CLI and GUI version: Conversion sub "ToBinaryString" was returning 9 bits instead of 8.
This issue was reported by the user "Madru" of the forum, thanks to him for reporting this issue.

GUI_MB_TCP_MASTER.png

Attachments

• ModbusMaster_2020_09_22.zip
    9.4 KB · Views: 197
  • ModbusTCPMasterGUI_2020_09_22.zip
    13.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

yaniv hanya

Licensed User
how can we use it in b4a? we need exactly the same project for resperyPI device (android) to connect to monbus. how can we wrap/ translate it to b4a?

Coldrestart

Licensed User
Yes, you can use this also in b4a, but you need to modify it.
I do not have much experiance in b4a, but you need to take in account that you are using asyncstreams.
So I think you need to initialize and access the lib in a service, and with the callsubdelayed functions, communicate with you UI. (Main thread)
Also, a timeout timer keeps track for an unresponsive slave, I also think that when the app is closed by the OS, this detection system is not working properly anymore.

Coldrestart

Licensed User
Update 25/07/2020 - GUI example added, TCP port and IP address are now in the Connect function instead of the initialization of the object -> change made only in the GUI version.

Coldrestart

Licensed User
Feedback from a user on the forum, that is good to know:
The starting address of a register is the PDU register, is zero based, while the official adressing is not zero based.
So it is possible if in a manual of a slave device, you need to read holding register 5001, in the lib, you need to send start register 5000.
If you don't like this, you can add a "+1" in the lib for the startaddress.

For more information about the modbus protocol, I refer to the official modbus website: https://modbus.org
There you can find the .pdf documents that describe the modbus protocol.

1596736833940.png

Coldrestart

Licensed User
**UPDATE on 22/09/2020**
Changes made in the CLI version:
-The port and IP adress are passed when using the function "ConnectServer", instead of the initialization function.

Changes made for the CLI and GUI version: Conversion sub "ToBinaryString" was returning 9 bits instead of 8.
This issue was reported by the user "Madru" of the forum, thanks to him for reporting this issue.