Automatic Indent for IDE?

Zenerdiode

Licensed User
I appreciate the IDE already has the 'Increase Indent' and corresponding 'Decrease Indent' but I'd like a switchable Automatic Indent. So when you type a keyword that has a corresponding closing keyword (I don't know if that is the correct terminology :eek:) like Sub, If or For; the next line is automatically tabbed until you type End If, Next etc. where the End If would jump back.

Is it being incredibly lazy on my part? Just that the parenthesis highlighting helps me considerably with complex expressions, I think the above will help with complex nesting.

mjcoon

Licensed User
I have certainly made use of that sort of auto-indenting feature in other IDEs (or just program editors). There it was made more tricky because there were a number of common schemes of how to do it (placement of "{" and "}" on their own lines and so forth).

But since Basic-like laguages make new-line significant there is less flexibility in sensible indentation schemes so it should not be difficult to provide one that most users would find helpful.

It would also help in merging code snippets garnered from this forum within your own code, and making it possible to choose between tabs or a set number of spaces for each indentation. This is especially tricky when transferring source bwtween the desktop and device IDEs.

bdiscount

Licensed User
indent

Wouldn't it be easier to have a menu item to indent the file by 1 or 2 spaces.
this way you could indent older code and others code.
:)