Autoscale, Varients and square screens.

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am using the 320x480 and 480x320 (160DPI) layouts and they are auto scaling quite well on Android devices and also the Blackberry Z10.

I am adding a new variant for the square screen 720x720 (328DPI) Q10 Blackberry (physical keyboard model) and am wondering shall I use a 320x320 or 480x480 variant to maintain the same auto scaling?

Does it even matter which one I use?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The normalized variant of this device is 360x360, scale=1.0.

AutoScaleAll compares the physical size of the device to the "standard" phone size device.

If you are creating a variant that targets a specific screen size then it is probably better not to call AutoScaleAll for this variant. AutoScaleAll is useful when you want to use the standard variants on a large range of devices.

Upvote 0

YoungHarry

Licensed User
Longtime User
Screen sizes

Hi,
I have also successfully ported Android apps to BlackBerry Z10 and Playbook. I am, however, confused as to the Designer and AVD screen sizes to use.
320 x 480 Scale=1 is almost the right size for the Z10, which is a 4.2-inch 1,280 x 768 display, but not quite, and that shows in one of my apps.
Can someone help me with the correct Designer values?

Can you also help me with the values to set up an AVD simulator?

I assume from what I read that 320 x 320 scale=1 is good for the Q10; is that correct?

My apps are not terribly complicated, basically special calculators, and I found that by following the directions found at https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/bpaa/ the conversion from .apk to .bar is fairly simple.

Upvote 0