Android Question B4A Designer and my App won't Install

johnB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, really weird problem with a phone that I used successfully for development of B4A apps last year (showing Android V4.3). I'm now using a phone that I believe is running KitKat.

On the old device, when I run B4A Bridge, it tells me there is a new version of B4A Designer available but when it comes to the Install stage (screenshot 01) it won't accept the INSTALL button, so I press CANCEL and then when I compile my App I get screenshot 02 and again I can't press the INSTALL Button, but the CANCEL button works. I can install Apps from the Play Store..

I'm wanting to go back to the old phone to try to avoid the Log/Debugger problems with my KitKat devices.

Just for information only,but it just seems strange, the phone on which I can't install is showing V4.3 of Android (as far as I understand it's not KitKat because I can move Apps to the SD Card) and what I believe are KitKat devices are showing V4.2.2

USB debugging is ticked on the old device. Am I missing something with the setup

Thanks for your patients

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    94 KB · Views: 285
  • 02.png
    02.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 308

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that you are probably missing the "Allow unknown sources" install option in the Settings>Security menu.

Upvote 0

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
When you say that you can't press the install button, does that mean that pressing the button does nothing at all and only the cancel button closes the message box or does clicking install also close the message box but without installing? I wonder if there is something listed in the logs that states why it won't install?

Upvote 0

johnB

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that you are probably missing the "Allow unknown sources" install option in the Settings>Security menu.
Thanks But I just checked and Allow Unknown Sources is ticked
When you say that you can't press the install button, does that mean that pressing the button does nothing at all and only the cancel button closes the message box or does clicking install also close the message box but without installing? I wonder if there is something listed in the logs that states why it won't install?
RandomCode, Pressing the INSTALL Button does nothing and only the CANCEL button closes the message box, Pressing the INSTALL button doesn't close the message box
Have you tried to uninstall the existing B4A Designer app?
I just tried uninstalling both the Bridge and the Designer and reinstalled the Bridge, but unfortunately I get the same problem when trying to Install the Designer, still can't press the INSTALL button

Thanks for your help on a Sunday

Upvote 0

johnB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Mr K, I'm not sure what you mean by uncheck "Verify Apps", is that uncheck USB Debugging" or is it something else. I uninstalled my antivirus, rebooted in case it was still in memory, but still have the problem.

My partner has the same phone so I begged, borrowed or more likely stole it (sure I will pay in the end) and it worked. I checked the settings on her phone with those of mine and they were the same.

I feel a reset coming up here, OMG I've about 100 apps on the phone, just love reinstalling them all.

I would appreciate if anybody has any other ideas as I don't really want to reset

Thanks for your assistance

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @johnB the "Verify apps" option is normally located in Settings>Security mine is located directly under the "Unknown sources" checkbox which you've already checked. This is certainly an unusual problem! You say that you can install Apps from the play store so obviously not all Apps have been blocked. Is it only Apps that you attempt to install using B4ABridge? What happens if you try to install directly using a USB cable?

Upvote 0

johnB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @johnB the "Verify apps" option is normally located in Settings>Security mine is located directly under the "Unknown sources" checkbox which you've already checked. This is certainly an unusual problem! You say that you can install Apps from the play store so obviously not all Apps have been blocked. Is it only Apps that you attempt to install using B4ABridge? What happens if you try to install directly using a USB cable?
Thanks RandomCoder, I've been away for a couple of days, I'll try unchecking "Verify Apps" tonight. I've never installed an App using a USB Cable, does this mean that I don't use B4A Bridge??

Upvote 0

pjsmith

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know this is an old post, but I just came across it as I had the same issue. For info, it's likely because of a screen overlay (android security). I had 'twilight' installed. Pause that, and all OK. 'install' button works again :)

Upvote 0

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
I also know this is an old post. Android updated its version on a tablet that has been working fine for a year and now the install button is not highlighted and can't be pressed when I try to install an APK from within the tablet.
i.e.
I copy an APK that I compiled on my PC with b4a to the tablet
I touch the APK to install it.
The install button is not enabled
The Cancel button is enabled...
I have Unknown sources enabled
it's worked up until the new version was installed ASUS P00C, Android version7.0
Thanks for ANY ideas.

BTW if I compile and install the exact same app from USB, it installs and runs fine...
Rusty

Upvote 0

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel,
I saw that post while researching before contacting this post.
There are no apps like Twilight, f.lux, CF.lumen and bluelight filter on any of the tablets...
It came with the latest Android update.
I'll re-post here if I find out what else it might be
Thanks for your suggestion.
Rusty

Upvote 0