B4A newbee comments...

aldweb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello.

I started playing around with B4A since a few days, using the trial version so far. I would like to share here a few difficulties I faced during these days when developing my first proof of concept application to validate if I will eventually buy the full version.

1) B4A has a great potential, it is really easy to get into it, the PC IDE is especially well designed and easy to apprehend.

2) But... (please take these inputs as positive inputs, with the idea of helping B4A)
2)a) What version should I buy? ... See my post here: www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-updates-questions/6473-pricing.html
2)b) Still some real annoying point, like the keyboard popup thingie (see my comment here: www.b4x.com/forum/bugs-wishlist/7203-naked-scrollview-2.html).
2)c) FirstTime gives an error at compilation time in the trial version, it seems that is not usable in this context if I am not mistaking.
2)d) Online documentation is quite exhaustive, quite well done, well written. But what a mess to surf in it to find the information we are looking for. Often, one or few lines of code samples are missing to understand quickly what we should use.
2)e) If I can understand to put some limitations in the trial version (like 1 activity only or time limit), why block the access to the other libraries but the core ones?

Cheers,
aldweb

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Good feedback. Thank you.

I've answered some of your questions in the referenced links.
FirstTime gives an error at compilation time in the trial version, it seems that is not usable in this context if I am not mistaking.
Can you post the code that fails? It should not fail.

If I can understand to put some limitations in the trial version (like 1 activity only or time limit), why block the access to the other libraries but the core ones?
From my experience hackers can easily workaround time limitations (especially with .Net applications). Removing a significant feature is a much better protection.

aldweb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you post the code that fails? It should not fail.
My mistake, FirstTime is the right spelling and not Firstime like I used... Sorry for that.

From my experience hackers can easily workaround time limitations (especially with .Net applications). Removing a significant feature is a much better protection.
This makes sense.