Android Question b4a SdkManager

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am running b4a v7.30 (because v7.80 does not work for me). How do I get this new (GUI) SDK Manager into my system? I can't figure out what I need or am missing. Thank you.

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
It doesn't work right with one of my projects - but my question concerns the b4a SDK Manager - how do I get it , install it and use it?

Upvote 0

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
I mean that with v7.80, one of my libraries does not work properly - I don't know why.

Upvote 0

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am taking the first steps. I have installed v7.80 in a new directory. I have set up my "Configure paths". I see the new button called "SDK Manager" and the "AVD Manager" button. And the "Download DSK" button. I'm not sure what all these do, but I will have to find out. Apparently I need a command line in the "sdkmanager.bat" textbox (I inserted "C:\android-sdk\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat" into that textbox). I click on "Download SDK" - I don't know if that's what I should do. That opens my browser and it wants me to download "sdk-tools-windows-3859397.zip". I don't know why I need that, but I downloaded it. The instructions say to "install all recommended items". What recommended items? And what do I do with the .zip file? No instructions and not clear at all.

I click on AVD Manager and get 2 error screens - see attached. I have no idea how to initialize whatever object is mentioned (List). So that's where I'm at. I'm sorry for the trouble.

Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_1.png

Upvote 0

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
Once downloaded, unzip sdk-tools-windows-3859397.zip in C:\android-sdk\
You should now have the "tools" directory inside C:\android-sdk\

Now inside SDK Manager, point to the file C:\android-sdk\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat

Then, refresh and you will be proposed a list of required items you will have to download to be able to use the Android SDK.

Upvote 0

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
So I click on the "Open folder" icon and it filled the box below with Recommended v27 items. Guess I will do this, even though yesterday I download Android v27 stuff using the old SDK Manager approach. I guess this won't screw anything up. It looks like most of the recommended stuff is Maven-related, which I was looking for yesterday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
Once downloaded, unzip sdk-tools-windows-3859397.zip in C:\android-sdk\
You should now have the "tools" directory inside C:\android-sdk\

Now inside SDK Manager, point to the file C:\android-sdk\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat

Then, refresh and you will be proposed a list of required items you will have to download to be able to use the Android SDK.

I already had a /tools directory with tons of stuff in it. I guess I will replace the old /tools folder with the new /tools folder.

I renamed my old /tools folder into tools_OLD and I copy the new /tools folder into c:\android-sdk. Then I refresh. I see the attached. So I am going to "Install Selected".

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
I try to install Google USB driver and get this:
Warning: Observed package id 'tools' in inconsistent location 'C:\android-sdk\tools_OLD' (Expected 'C:\android-sdk\tools')
Warning: Observed package id 'tools' in inconsistent location 'C:\android-sdk\tools_OLD' (Expected 'C:\android-sdk\tools')

I don't know what to do. Do I need the Google USB driver? SHould I delete the \tools_OLD folder?

Also, what happened to \android-27? Aren't I supposed to have that?

So I get rid of \tools_OLD and try to install the Google USB driver. Nothing happens. I just see info like this:
Info: Parsing C:\android-sdk\system-images\android-24\default\x86\package.xml
Info: Parsing C:\android-sdk\tools\package.xml

The driver won't install.

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 238
Upvote 0

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you sure you pointed to the tools directory inside the android-sdk folder and not the old one ?

Upvote 0

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is no reason to use v7.30. You should post the error you get.

Here is the error I get when I try to run my source code in v7.80 (v7.30 works fine):

ObfuscatorMap.txt file created in Objects folder.
Compiling layouts code. (0.03s)
Organizing libraries. (0.00s)
Generating R file. (0.13s)
Compiling generated Java code. Error
javac 1.8.0_66
C:\Program Files XP\b4A_v780\Libraries_added\se_v201.jar(swisseph/SwissEph.java):1789: error: unmappable character for encoding UTF-8
* @param lapse_rate (dattemp/dgeoalt) = [??K/m]
^
1 error

Upvote 0

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you sure you pointed to the tools directory inside the android-sdk folder and not the old one ?

Pointed where? Where do I set that folder path?

In any case, I deleted the tool_OLD folder and just have the new \tools folder.

Upvote 0

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
Also, B4A comes with this "B4ASdkManager.jar", size 1,250,093. But Erel's instructions to download this file gives a size of 1,116,572. Since neither file has a version number, which one do I use?

Upvote 0

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
At the top of the SDK Manager where you define the path to sdkmanager.bat

I fear that you are installing the downloaded package inside your existing Android SDK folder ?

C:\android-sdk\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat

Attachments

• Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here is what I see. There is no longer a \tools_OLD folder.

Attachments

• Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am taking the first steps. I have installed v7.80 in a new directory. I have set up my "Configure paths". I see the new button called "SDK Manager" and the "AVD Manager" button. And the "Download DSK" button. I'm not sure what all these do, but I will have to find out. Apparently I need a command line in the "sdkmanager.bat" textbox (I inserted "C:\android-sdk\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat" into that textbox). I click on "Download SDK" - I don't know if that's what I should do. That opens my browser and it wants me to download "sdk-tools-windows-3859397.zip". I don't know why I need that, but I downloaded it. The instructions say to "install all recommended items". What recommended items? And what do I do with the .zip file? No instructions and not clear at all.

I click on AVD Manager and get 2 error screens - see attached. I have no idea how to initialize whatever object is mentioned (List). So that's where I'm at. I'm sorry for the trouble.

View attachment 64826 View attachment 64827

UPDATE: I no longer get these error messages - The b4A AVD Manager window opens. I now have to read the instructions for this.

Upvote 0

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
I do use the SDK Manager shipped with B4A. The other one, I do use compiled directly from B4J when I get some errors to check the logs.
All seems to be OK if I watch your last screenshot. Google USB Driver are used to connect the PC to the smartphone. You probably have installed those drivers already

Upvote 0