Bug? B4A v.5.02 IDE on XP SP3 is very slow during typing on the keyboard.

PierPaduan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
B4A v.5.02 IDE on XP SP3 is very slow during typing on the keyboard.
The pressed letter appears on screen about one second after or more. The IDE is almost unusable.
With v.4.30 the IDE was very fast.
In addition during typing, today, the IDE crashed two times in less than half an hour.

The Information about the crash are the following:
EventType : clr20r3 P1 : b4a.exe P2 : 5.0.0.0 P3 : 557d94a4
P4 : mscorlib P5 : 4.0.0.0 P6 : 4ba1da6f P7 : 219 P8 : 10
P9 : system.invalidoperationexception

I have tried disabling implicit auto completion, but nothing changed.

Can I reinstall v.4.30 ?

Do you have some suggestions?

Thanks a Lot

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@PierPaduan : turn off the explicit autocomplete and it should be a lot faster (Tools -> IDE -> disable explict autocompletion)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
oh, you tried that already. check taskmanager to see if something is eating too much resources.

PierPaduan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you running itunes by any chance ?
No itunes
check taskmanager to see if something is eating too much resources.
There isn't.

I think my old computer is too old.
Without autocompletion it's a little faster, but not very much. But I need autocompletion.
Other problem are the crashes, that happens only when I change values in a big array... strange!!!

Anyway, for the moment I will downgrade to 4.3.

Thanks a Lot to everybody.
Bye.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't know if it is Erel's own implementation or something that's built-in in VS201x but I guess it's the delay between keystrokes that's set too small or doesn't get reset at keypresses.

As mentioned before other IDE's that have simular autocompletion options don't have this issue on my machines.

francoisg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can second the delay - I am using a vm on mac and the new ide is really slow compared to the previous version. turned off auto complete. will check if it makes it usable ...

francoisg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
I am on using Windows 8 VM (VirtualBox) on the MAC and it definitely is slower! I turned off auto complete but it is still the same :-(

francoisg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, tried turning on 2d/3d acceleration (using virtualbox) but now it even feels slower! Up to the point of being unusable! Any ideas?

german13

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
B4A v.5.02 IDE on XP SP3 is very slow during typing on the keyboard.
The pressed letter appears on screen about one second after or more. The IDE is almost unusable.
With v.4.30 the IDE was very fast.
In addition during typing, today, the IDE crashed two times in less than half an hour.

The Information about the crash are the following:
EventType : clr20r3 P1 : b4a.exe P2 : 5.0.0.0 P3 : 557d94a4
P4 : mscorlib P5 : 4.0.0.0 P6 : 4ba1da6f P7 : 219 P8 : 10
P9 : system.invalidoperationexception

I have tried disabling implicit auto completion, but nothing changed.

Can I reinstall v.4.30 ?

Do you have some suggestions?

Thanks a Lot

The problem is vmware.
Disable 3D acceleration and it works great and fast.

Attachments

• vmware.png
    vmware.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 317

francoisg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually, it's not - I am using Windows 8 on VIRTUALBOX (not vmware) - and I have spoken to someone else with the same problem. Only he is on a Windows 8.1 laptop ...

francoisg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have no clue but I'm up to the point of reinstalling the older version and sticking with it for a while ...

LuanKotze

Licensed User
Longtime User
In an effort to be of help, I can also second the delay on my under powered (Mecer NetTop Atom 430N) running Win7 x64, .net 4.5.2. I also tried a fresh XP Virtual Machine on my 3rd gen i5 laptop, cannot test on host OS due to some .net issues, any-case same delay. Disabling 3d acceleration on the vm did remove most of the delay and the v5 IDE is very usable. Both run the v4.xx IDE very smoothly. Unfortunately re-opening my project on an earlier IDE produces a warning, and I don't want any additional issues. I will be formatting an older i5 (1st gen m520) Toshiba laptop and installing a fresh Win 7 sometime this week, will report back my findings here.

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually, it's not - I am using Windows 8 on VIRTUALBOX (not vmware) - and I have spoken to someone else with the same problem. Only he is on a Windows 8.1 laptop ...

I have the issue aswell on non-virtual windows systems so I don't think it's always related to VMware/VBox. That's on XP & 7 so with different .NET & DX configs.

in my case turning of the autocomplete helps altho it's still not as smooth as all other IDE's I use or used before.

My guess, as mentioned back then, is it's the pre-compile check that gives warnings of errors on every keypress
or the lack of timer reset during keypresses for the autocomplete to kick in.