Android Question B4a v8.00 is slow

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i noticed since the last update that b4a runs very slow while typing. i also disabled implicit Auto Completion but still, it runs slow.
opening Task Manager i can see why:

b4aide.jpg

b4a is using about 2GB of my ram. most goes to Java(TM) Platform SE binary.

should it be like that? can i do something to improve it? (except of buying a new laptop)

thanx, ilan

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Add 2gb ram on your pc :p

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is not related to B4A version. The memory is consumed by the optimized dexer. I guess that your project uses Google Play Services which is a relatively large library.

If you think that it slows down the PC then you have two options:
1. Disable the optimized dexer.
2. Increase MaxRamForDex.

i use Firebase Admob and notification in my project so does it mean i use Google Play Service?

i will try to increase the MaxRamForDex because i have no idea what will it happen if i disable optimized dexer :confused:

btw i have 8GB ram i guess it is better to buy another 8GB for my laptop right?

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Dex (Dalvik Executable) serves to optimize data management in with Dalvik (Virtual Machine) now from version 5+ we use ART as runtime VM

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Dex (Dalvik Executable) serves to optimize data management in with Dalvik (Virtual Machine) now from version 5+ we use ART as runtime VM

用于优化Dalvik(虚拟机)的数据管理,现在我们使用ART作为运行时VM

now everything is clear :confused:

i think i will increase the ram until i buy another 8gb ram for my 5years old laptop that i love so much :)

btw since yesterday i noticed that the forum is very slow, it takes few seconds until the post i send is accepted and surfing here takes now time to load pages, but thats a topic for the forum discussion and not for here. maybe some background service is done by erel

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
wow after setting optimized dexer to false b4a is using 90% less memory :eek:
it takes maybe x1.5 to x2.0 longer to compile but 90% less memory, that is really a lot!!

b4aide2.jpg

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a 50in of 256k memory banks for 80386 if you can mount it on your, i gift you :p

PS the forum goes slow to that to me ... it's not a ram problem

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I suppose .. but I'm not sure. Better to ask Erel

Upvote 0