Other B4J - New IDE is available (BETA)!!!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm excited to release the first beta version of the new IDE.

SS-2015-04-30_15.13.23.png

As discussed in this thread, the IDE was rewritten.

The new IDE is significantly more powerful, smarter, more modern and more scalable.

There are too many improvements to list them all.

I will just list some features that are less obvious:

- Press on Ctrl + Click to jump to an identifier (sub, variables, etc.).
- Themes - Ctrl + T
- Sophisticated conditional compilation: #If, #Else If, #Else and support for OR and AND.
- Dockable layout. Including support for multiple open editors.
- Find all references - F7.
- Quick search - Ctrl + F.
- Goto sub / module - Ctrl + E.
- Smarter autocomplete.
- Hover over variables and expressions in debug mode.
- Structure matching.
- Automatic warnings and errors highlighting.

Requirements

- Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0+ is required. If you are running Windows XP then you should install .Net Framework 4.0: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

- Developers running Vista or above should install .Net Framework 4.5.2: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642
It is important to install the latest version as it includes important fixes. Some of the optimizations will be disabled with older versions.

This is a beta version of a new IDE. Please make sure to backup any important project before opening it with the new IDE. You can install this IDE together with a previous version (install it to a different folder).

You can download the beta version here: www.b4x.com/b4j/files/beta.exe

Please post any issues you encounter in a new thread in B4J forums.

:)

Last edited:

Topwiz

Licensed User
Longtime User
It would be really helpful if the new IDE supported the Microsoft SCC API for source control. This capability would allow for check-out & check-in directly within the IDE.

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice work Erel.
Q. Is there a way to change just the font colour for #if java .... #end if code, I tried all the themes and I still find the included java part hard to read.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
It would be really helpful if the new IDE supported the Microsoft SCC API for source control. This capability would allow for check-out & check-in directly within the IDE.
You should post features requests in the wishlist forum.

Is there a way to change just the font colour for #if java .... #end if code, I tried all the themes and I still find the included java part hard to read.
Create a copy of Light.vssettings and put it in the themes folder. It should be listed when you reopen the themes dialog.

You need to change the value of <Item Name="Excluded Code" Foreground="0x00555555" Background="0x02000000" BoldFont="No"/>. Note that for some strange reason the colors format is BGR.

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you perfect now 11/10 :)

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
0x007f007f - sort of purple , but easy to read

Found a little tip, where the new editor shows which routine you are in at top left. wrap any included java in a Sub JavaCode .... End Sub, and it reports correct section, without it, it displays last sub before the java code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I didn't plan to use B4J but as this new release of the ide is part of the future of B4A/B4i I will check it out.

Good job, as usual. :)

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When I create a new design/layout I get an open file dialogue like when you get when a file extention is not associated to a program?

dialogue.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roberto P.

Licensed User
Longtime User
excellent Erel,
I very much hope that in the new IDE will be managed derived classes.
thanks

Upvote 0

Swissmade

Licensed User
Longtime User
I get an open file dialogue like when you get when a file extention is not associated to a program?
Maybe some settings missing for Scene Builder.
I have no issues here with this.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
could be or I need to install something here to make it work. (it's Win7 Pro)

Upvote 0