Other B4J - New IDE is available (BETA)!!!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm excited to release the first beta version of the new IDE.

SS-2015-04-30_15.13.23.png

As discussed in this thread, the IDE was rewritten.

The new IDE is significantly more powerful, smarter, more modern and more scalable.

There are too many improvements to list them all.

I will just list some features that are less obvious:

- Press on Ctrl + Click to jump to an identifier (sub, variables, etc.).
- Themes - Ctrl + T
- Sophisticated conditional compilation: #If, #Else If, #Else and support for OR and AND.
- Dockable layout. Including support for multiple open editors.
- Find all references - F7.
- Quick search - Ctrl + F.
- Goto sub / module - Ctrl + E.
- Smarter autocomplete.
- Hover over variables and expressions in debug mode.
- Structure matching.
- Automatic warnings and errors highlighting.

Requirements

- Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0+ is required. If you are running Windows XP then you should install .Net Framework 4.0: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

- Developers running Vista or above should install .Net Framework 4.5.2: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642
It is important to install the latest version as it includes important fixes. Some of the optimizations will be disabled with older versions.

This is a beta version of a new IDE. Please make sure to backup any important project before opening it with the new IDE. You can install this IDE together with a previous version (install it to a different folder).

You can download the beta version here: www.b4x.com/b4j/files/beta.exe

Please post any issues you encounter in a new thread in B4J forums.

:)

Last edited:

Swissmade

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
Great IDE. I Don't know if this was the meaning or not.
When you debug step by step F8 this is only working in Docked windows. Undock a window sample you jump to an other module then F8 is not working.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0

le_toubib

Licensed User
Longtime User
hovering on any object used to show its value (expanded) in the bottom window, and the value is auto updated whenever it changes, this was very useful example when breaking inside a loop to see how the object changes values as u play the loop step by step.
but now , i must Re-hover on the variable each play, so as to show its new value box, as it disappears as i press play. this can be very tiresome in large loops.
right clicking on a variable and adding a watch expression does nothing (am i missing something here ?)

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can still expand the variable once and it will be kept expanded when the value is updated (note that the text will be bold to show you that the value has changed).

You don't need to add a watch expression for a variable as the variable will already be listed in the list. To add a watch expression you need to select some text and choose add watch expression.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just tried the new version. I cannot open Configure Paths from the menu. I click on the menu-item but nothing happens...

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Still can't get configure paths to appear, reverted back to older beta version

Upvote 0

Dey

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J Beta #5 is now available. Fixes the issue with the paths dialog and an issue with B4J-Bridge.

Sorry for the rapid updates. The work on B4A has started and by mistake there were several unintended modifications to the shared code.
The work on B4A!! very happy...

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It just struck me that the printing option is not available in the new IDE :eek:

I hope this is just temporary since I find printing from the IDE very useful...

Upvote 0

Swissmade

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice hard working Erel.

Many thanks;):)o_O

Upvote 0

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel
Where is the replace and replace all?
You removed this or only changed the place, i dont find this and with ctrl + f dont show =(

thx

Upvote 0