Other B4J v3.5 beta is available for download

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J v3.50 BETA is now available for download:
www.b4x.com/b4j/files/beta.exe

A new visual designer was added to B4J, similar to B4A and B4i designers.

SS-2015-07-23_15.10.31.png

The visual designer is made of two components: IDE designer and WYSIWYG designer.

The designer supports anchors, variants and designer script features. Note that "auto scale" is not supported.

The new designer will make it simpler for B4A and B4i developers to develop cross platform desktop applications with B4J.

Requirements

The WYSIWYG designer requires Java 8.20+. It is recommended to download and use the latest JDK:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
Don't forget to update the configured javac under Tools - Configure Paths.

New methods:
  • ScrollPane.LoadLayout - Loads a layout file as the ScrollPane content.
  • TabPane.LoadLayout - Creates a new tab with the layout file as its content.
  • Node.PrefWidth / PrefHeight / SetSize - Methods to set the width and height of nodes. Supports all types of nodes.
  • Node.Snapshot2 - Similar to Node.Snapshow. Allows setting the background color (instead of the default white background).
Backwards compatibility

Pane will not be resized automatically based on its child nodes. You can switch to AnchorPane as a workaround.
Scene Builder is still supported.

This is a beta version. Make sure to backup your projects before loading them in the new version.

Please do not post issues in this thread. Start a new thread instead.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
סוף סוף, תפילותיי נשמעו, איזה תותח !!!

Thank you very much, now i will start using b4j...

Can you please tell me again how i can move in the designer the taskbars using the mouse??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is awesome!

This will make creating desktop apps 100% easier, as least for me. No longer will I have to focus on adjusting the padding and margin just right :)

Upvote 0

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
lolllllllllllllll this is very good *-*-*-*-* thx thx thx you erel *-*

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My honest opinion, the more it becomes like B4A the less I like it and the less useful it is to me.

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
few weeks ago i asked on a thread in "chit chat" what people would think of B4w(windows phone) and few said that you have visual studio and its hard to compare agains them so no chance someone would use b4w instead of the original soft that is almost the same language

and a wise member (@Jmu5667 , :rolleyes: wondering if 5667 is the year of his birth so maybe a time traveler??) said: B4w(indows phones) Simplicity will always win over complexity.

and now after trying the beta of b4j i have the proove he was right because i never used b4j (only 1 time, i did a simple calculator) because the Scene Builder was to uncomfortable for me and today after playing around a little bit with the new b4j i really like it...

so even the Scene Builder got much more possibilities, Simplicity will always win over complexity... ;) (wating for b4w...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
so why you like it now less the before??

It seem's to be aiming to be just like B4A, but not addressing things that are holding it back as a 'proper' Java platform.
For example, you cannot produce a war file, as there are certain structures used that prevent this ( static { ..... } blocks ).
There is no option to use the latest Java constructs ( lambda's, diamond operators etc) as you cannot override the default -source & -target args of javac.
Don't get me wrong, when I first started using B4J, it was the best thing I had found, now I hit barriers that prevent generating good Java code.

Upvote 0