b4p table vs sql table

dennishea

Licensed User
B4p table normaly is a delimited text file or csv I think. An sqlite is a database, again I think. B4p I know how to control col width and hide a col.
Sqlite I haven't been able to figure out how to change col width or hide a col, I'm not even sure you can, so before I lose any more hair over it I thought I would ask for help on this. If Sqlite can't do this then I will move on, if it can could somebody help me with this. :sign0085:

Thanks in advance. :)

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A B4PPC Table is a visible control. A Table control can load from and save itself to a CSV or XML file. Programs can read and load each cell individually.

A SQLlite table is not a visible control, it is an abstract structure that holds data in a database.

There is no relationship between a Table control and a SQL table except that they, unfortunately, share the same name.

berndgoedecke

Licensed User
Longtime User
Some thoughts about b4p table vs sql table

Hello dennishea,
I'm also searching for a table- or listview- control that enables a stylish appearance for SQLite- tables and -views.
My first attempt to work with SQLite was two years ago, with NSBasic, it worked well with about 50.000 datasets each with 27 Columns.

--This is possible by handling a Table or a View piece by piece. If you want to show one Dataset in a Form you SELECT one Dataset in dependence of its rowid(see Sqlite-manual) or any other parameter.If you want to show a tableview, it is needed to SELECT the maximum visible rows, in dependence of fontheight. To show filters or views you can use TempTables, stored on SD-Card for eg.( Use Pragma TempStoreDirectory).(Searching will be faster if every row is indexed). AutoIndex will proceed the same, but I don't know how to create it. SQLite is fast enough to scroll through the Database, by selecting the parts you need. No more memoryproblems will decrease the ppc- performance--

Because NSBasic is native, and no support for framework2- based Outlook components is to expect from NSBasic, I try to do the same in B4P.

But now my rating for your problem:
You want to have a table-control that is able to formate its column width in dependence of stringlength and fontheight. It should be able to chart different datatypes as a formated string such as Date, currency etc.? Columns or rows should be selectable by the user and an image in each cell or column should be also nice to have. Extensions for the existing tablecontrol should do that in the future, but in my opinion there exists no control in B4P that provides this features all together. But I hope that an additional libary will solve the problems. By then I try to handle existing htmlcontrols, panels, textboxes, controlarrays, controlextensions to optmise the appearance of SQlite-Datas, and switch the table that holds the data, invisible. But a special dll should be faster.
I think you see, that you are not allone with the problem to have an easy handling an nice looking SQlite.
Now I go on vacation for one week. Have happy easter, if you join it...

Best regards

berndgoedecke

dennishea

Licensed User
Thanks agraham and berndgoedecke for your replys.

@agraham Your description of tables and Sqlite was helpful, thank you. Hope you have a nice holiday. :)

@berndgoedecke I just started a few months ago playing with Sqlite. I have written a small program just for myself for keeping track of part numbers, notes, and other related data. Sqlite is what I want to use. Little by little its getting there. The problem I'm having is col width in that my part number is what I'm using to choose the record I want from a table and the part number is varying in length, so it truncates part of the part number. I am than forced to drag the seperator line at the top to lengthen the col width so I can see the whole part number so I can choose the one I want. I think what I will try is load a combobox with my part numbers and let the combobox get my record from the database. Thanks much for your insight. Hope you have a nice holiday. :)