B4XCode - We are coming back!

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
was infected and all of our files were encrypted, personal PC, Work PC, Laptops, servers, NAS server, and 4 of our online servers.

How was it possible that even the backup nas were encrypted?
Don't you want to tell me that the disks were shared and 'visible' and 'writable' from any device on the network?
Since these viruses have been released that encrypt all files on the disk, it is commonly accepted practice to have copies run from a single program that contains the account data necessary to connect to the nas
If only that program contains the data to connect to the nas and write into it, no other program will be able to do so, and therefore the data will be safe

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
How was it possible that even the backup nas were encrypted?
Don't you want to tell me that the disks were shared and 'visible' and 'writable' from any device on the network?
Since these viruses have been released that encrypt all files on the disk, it is commonly accepted practice to have copies run from a single program that contains the account data necessary to connect to the nas
If only that program contains the data to connect to the nas and write into it, no other program will be able to do so, and therefore the data will be safe
We have a single network that connects ever PC, Server, NAS storage with each other, but there are permissions, each department has it's own folders and documents.
The NAS storage was shared between the departments and of course every folder permission was read/write.

The whole company was infected, so every shared folder was infected as well.

I personally had 2 external hard disks connected to my PC, and both of them were encrypted.

cklester

Licensed User
It is absolutely sickening and disgusting that there are people out there like these hackers. It makes me feel sick to my stomach to think about what you guys have been through. I have lost entire hard drives before (before I had backup plans), and it left me drained and depressed for weeks.

I hope you all are able to recover 100% of your files, but I also pray that you can completely recover mentally and emotionally from the absolute crime that has been committed against you.

Regardless, welcome back! It is good to have you back!

omo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Welcome back @ sfsameer, this after effect encryption image you posted here is even scaring mere looking at the encrypted files. Hope one can't contact it right away? Wish you quick full recovery from the psychological trauma and unexpected loss. Is painful seeing hardwork of many years of programming and file contents getting encrypted in matter of hours.

Is a lesson to everybody, I will now be more serious with multiple backups to avoid story that touches. Be strong !

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is absolutely sickening and disgusting that there are people out there like these hackers. It makes me feel sick to my stomach to think about what you guys have been through. I have lost entire hard drives before (before I had backup plans), and it left me drained and depressed for weeks.

I hope you all are able to recover 100% of your files, but I also pray that you can completely recover mentally and emotionally from the absolute crime that has been committed against you.

Regardless, welcome back! It is good to have you back!
We were able to recover 15%-20% of the files only, and we can never recover 100%, we have contacted many Data Recovery services but all of them said that we can never recover 100%, after 2 weeks of data mining and trying multiple methods by 3 different data recovery services we were able to recover the minimum.

Mentally: we were destroyed and depressed because all of our work was gone.

Financially: We almost faced a lawsuit from a local company we have been working with for almost a year, because we have a yearly support contract for a multi-million dollars project (E-Cards project) the contract percentage was 9% of the total contract amount, and because we were not able to provide support because we didn't have any source code to work on so they threatened to file a lawsuit, i had 3 meetings with the owner of their company, i showed and explained the whole situation and luckily they have ended our contract without filling any lawsuit.

But again, we were down but we get up and we continue our work.

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Welcome back @ sfsameer, this after effect encryption image you posted here is even scaring mere looking at the encrypted files. Hope one can't contact it right away? Wish you quick full recovery from the psychological trauma and unexpected loss. Is painful seeing hardwork of many years of programming and file contents getting encrypted in matter of hours.

Is a lesson to everybody, I will now be more serious with multiple backups to avoid story that touches. Be strong !
As soon as the encryption started all of our servers were down so luckily no public files were published nor were downloaded.

Right now we multiple back up services purchased from OVH (They are really great BTW because they helped us through out the process of our recovery) and the backups are per hour on 3 different servers, each server is fully managed by OVH team only, the automated backup is uploaded to a temp server and the OVH team spreads the files on the 3 servers (scanned and partitioned by them)

cklester

Licensed User
But again, we were down but we get up and we continue our work.

This is probably the hardest lesson you will learn in your business/professional life.

I'm guessing you have new backup and protection systems in place!

When do you think your website will be functional again? Also on the 20th?

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is probably the hardest lesson you will learn in your business/professional life.

I'm guessing you have new backup and protection systems in place!

When do you think your website will be functional again? Also on the 20th?
Yes, our services will continue on the 20th.

We have an open project with you, which we will contact you tomorrow regarding your project.

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Glad to hear your OK!

Look forward to continued great work :)

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just thought of something...

Everyone who purchased the "source code" for any of your products are now actually non-encrypted "backups" copies of your products!

So, I'm sure everyone will be happy to send you back the source codes so you can "restore" everything back on your PC's and be closer to where you were before the virus :)

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just thought of something...

Everyone who purchased the "source code" for any of your products are now actually non-encrypted "backups" copies of your products!

So, I'm sure everyone will be happy to send you back the source codes so you can "restore" everything back on your PC's and be close to where you were before the virus :)
Exactly, we have contacted many clients and we have received the source codes which is really great.

But we had 9 unpublished source codes we were planning on releasing but they are gone now.
Also we were working on 3 new projects but there are gone now.

Jones Hone

Licensed User
Longtime User
During this period without sfsameer, the forum seems to be missing something!(Maybe it's just my feeling)
welcome back!

Last edited: