Basic4android v1.92 BETA is released

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a minor update which fixes the following issues:

- DoEvents / Msgbox crash the application on Android 4.0.3 and Android 4.0.4 when used inside Panel_Touch event and some other touch related events.
- Starting the Bluetooth bridge hangs the IDE.
- HorizontalCenter returns the wrong value in the designer script.
- Basic4android is now compatible with Designer4android layout files.
- Other minor fixes.

The final version ,when ready, will be released to all users who use v1.90.

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not at my work PC so can't provide screen shots at the moment. An Exit item in a File menu is a pretty standard thing and the main B4A IDE window has one. I can install the previous 1.90 and look, but I think I would have noticed a missing Exit item in the File menu of the designer window. It looks odd when missing because the bottom of the menu ends in a menu divider bar and looks like it is cut off. Menus never end in a divider bar. It is only like that on first entry to a new design. If you go into a existing Design the File menu has an item below the File menu's last divider bar where Exit normally would be and is called whatever your designer file/.bal file is called. If my layout is called "main" then the bottom item in the file menu of the designer window says "main". When clicked it Exits the Designer window and prompts to save if needed just like clicking the X button to close.

Upvote 0

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
File menus tend to follow a standard flow:

New
Open...
-------------
Save
Save As...
-------------
Page Setup...
Print...
-------------
Exit/Quit

... indicates a dialog is to follow and the areas are divided by divider bars. Currently the designer window is like (Not Exact, just showing flow):

New
Open...
-------------
Save
Save As...
-------------
Page Setup...
Print...
-------------

When I have an existing layout opened, say it is called "main" then the menu looks like:

New
Open...
-------------
Save
Save As...
-------------
Page Setup...
Print...
-------------
main

Upvote 0

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just loaded 1.90 back and it actually has the issue too...assuming installing 1.90 back on top of it updated all files (It said 1.90 in about and 1.91 for beta). I guess I never noticed it since my layouts were called main and similar number of chars.

I did notice one other thing too. The ... meaning I noted above is only used once in all parts of B4A. There is a Save As in the Designer window with them. Save As is missing from the IDE, and the ... is missing from all the menus that open a dialog like Open, Export as Zip, Page Setup, Print Preview, Print, Find, Add Existing Module, Choose Icon, Package Name, App Label, App Version, Manifest Editor, Configure Paths, Private Sign Key, etc. Same thing in Designer- Generate Members, Change Grid. The ... helps users know what will happen when the menu is clicked like if it just performs an action, if it is a checkbox item, or if it opens a dialog to do something else.

Upvote 0

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
It actually lists 4.5 things in the first post, and I'm not sure what the other minor fixes mentioned are. Now that it is found that it was a bug in 1.90 as well I guess it all could be moved to a bug thread there about menus in general. I only posted here originally because it appeared to be a beta bug and I didn't want to confuse things posting it in the 1.90 Bugs/Wishes. And, the ... stuff was just mentioned since the bug was about menus and being a developer myself I know I like to fix all issues in one area all at once instead of revisiting it multiple times.

If you like, I'm fine being an official beta tester too (Especially if there are private forums, etc since it is usually best posting things in one of those to not make the current product look bad). I do often find lots of weird things and have beta tested many products before.

Upvote 0

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
Never got an email for beta. I only get the emails for major versions with the file location and passwords...hence the confusion with no link earlier. I went back to the last 1.90 email and just went to the folder direct and found the beta zip file. Searching just now I'm able to see this beta thread and a few others, but nothing really looks hidden (Viewing without logon still sees the Beta threads).

Upvote 0