Other Basic4android v3.20 is released

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Erel, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

I'm happy to release B4A v3.20.

This version includes many important improvements:
    • Visual designer
      • Anchors feature - makes it easier to target multiple screen sizes. See this short video.
      • Copy & paste - work both inside the layout or between different layouts.
      • Undo / redo feature.
      • The views are organized in a tree for easier navigation.
      • AutoScaleAll keyword now works with all variants, not just the "standard" variant.
      • Colors fields can be copied and the colors values can be pasted or directly typed.
      • Designer script find / replace dialog.
      • The grid is saved in the layout file.
      • Landscape / Portrait designer keywords to test the current orientation.
      • UI Cloud threshold reduced to 10 seconds.
    • #AdditionalRes attribute - Makes it possible to wrap Android library projects (projects with resources). See this example: jfeinstein10 SlidingMenu library
    • Sync button in the Files tab - Syncs the project files with the Files folder.
    • Modules added to the Find Sub / Module tool (Ctrl + E).
    • Tabs order in the IDE is preserved.
    • Modules files that were not modified will not be saved thus preserving the correct time stamp.
    • DateTime.SetTimeZone now accepts a Double instead of Int.
    • Shortcuts: F11 - Restart (rapid debugger), F2 in the designer connects to the device.
    • JavaObject v1.00 - new RunMethodJO / GetFieldJO methods.
    • Bug fixes and other minor improvements.
    Notes

Users who are eligible for a free upgrade should receive an email with the download link. Please allow up to 12 hours for the mail to arrive.
    Other users should receive a mail with a discount offer (it will be sent tomorrow).

I would like to thank the beta testers for their help with the continuing development of Basic4android.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. Claudio Oliveira

Claudio Oliveira Member Licensed User

Great news!
    Already messing around with it...

3. Ratna Fang

Ratna Fang Member Licensed User

thanks, erel :)
    the anchors will help me alot

4. pappicio

pappicio Member Licensed User

I renewed my enterprise license waiting this moment.

5. Paolo Cosentino

Paolo Cosentino Member Licensed User

Thx Erel. You've done a good job, as usual.

6. FireDroid

FireDroid Member Licensed User

Simply the best !!
    Thanks for your great job.

:)

7. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member Licensed User

Quick question, although I'm sure I already know the answer:

As always, I'm in the midst of an update to my app and don't need any surprises... I know that once I save a layout I can't reopen in an older version but I assume it won't do anything to the layouts I have? While I look forward to playing with the new anchor feature, now isn't the time for my complicated layouts to unexpectedly get messed up. :confused:

P.S. The update sounds great!

8. Erel

Installing and running the new version will not have any effect on existing layouts. Only when you save the layout it uses a format that is not supported by older versions of B4A.

9. joergb

joergb Member Licensed User

looks great
    Thanks for your great job.

10. Slacker

Slacker Active Member Licensed User

Scrollable Designer Window ? :( :(

gmilias and Vincenzo Fabiano like this.
  11. Erel

A note about AutoScaleAll. In previous versions AutoScaleAll always scaled the layouts based on the device physical size and the "standard variant" (320x480, scale = 1). It was only meaningful (per design) to call AutoScaleAll with the standard variant.

Starting from v3.20 AutoScaleAll works with other variants as well. For example if you create a tablet variant and then load it on a phone device then the views will become smaller. This is the correct behavior.

However if you already have a working layout and used AutoScaleAll with a non-standard variant then the layout will be scaled differently now.
    If you like you can force the auto scaling to preserve the old behavior. This is done with this code:
    Code:
    Dim jo As JavaObject
    jo.InitializeStatic(
    "java.lang.System").RunMethod("setProperty"Array As Object("autoscaleall_old_behaviour""true"))
    You should run it before loading the layout file.

Theera likes this.
  12. Filippo

Filippo Expert Licensed User

Thanks Erel, this software is really worth every cent. :)

13. lemonisdead

lemonisdead Well-Known Member Licensed User

Hi Erel,

I would like to thank you again for this exciting software. The v3.2 is a great improvement as it is more easy to design the interface

Erel likes this.
  14. devlei

devlei Active Member Licensed User

Great work, Erel. In spite of producing B4J recently, you still keep adding brilliant features to an already great product, B4A!!

15. tuhatinhvn

tuhatinhvn Active Member Licensed User

are there any newer features than beta version??

16. Erel

No. However there are several bug fixes.

17. Vincenzo Fabiano

Vincenzo Fabiano Member Licensed User

Erel, please you can add Scrollable Designer Window?

metrick likes this.
  18. Erel

Please post features requests in the wishlist forum...

19. Sidnei Nardo

Sidnei Nardo Member Licensed User

Gostei muito deste aplicativo.. muito bom mesmo.. é uma pena que no Brasil não tenha quase empresas que o utilize, ai não consigo emprego, tenho que usar apenas para serviços esporádicos. mas a ferramenta é muito boa mesmo!

20. Slacker

Slacker Active Member Licensed User

Erel, it's inconceivable the utility of a scrollbar feature in designer window, and not only for me. I should start another B4A project pretty soon where this feature would be too much useful and could make me save a lot of time and mental efforts (i repeat not only for me i guess).

Try to look if you can implement it without too much fatigue and quickly please.

Thank you for your job.

Dario126 likes this.