Basic4ppc book available!

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel & Ariel
A very nice book !
I am sure it will be useful, great work.

on pages 351, 361, 363 and may be some other you have a calendar in Hebrew...

Saj

Licensed User
Hi, none of the links to the SQLite source code on p228 and 229 work. Can it be posted?

Saj

Licensed User
Hi, none of the links to the SQLite source code on p228 and 229 work. Can it be posted?

Sir Isaac

The book is great, and indeed, it has been working for years as one of the main project attractions. In fact, it introduces every pivotal product's concept in a plain and intelligible way. And therefore, it would be really awesome to see this B4P bestseller revised and republished someday - brushed up English (say, errata and mistakes like missed -s endings occasionally happen), as well as more detailed sections on strings, arrays and structures, elegant coding techniques and code optimization (for instance, I still cannot figure out anywhere-software in reference materials what is the maximum/optimum/safe length of the String type in B4P, for desktop and average device), together with a thorough review of the whole scope of up-to-date (6.90-compatible) additional libraries (I wish Andrew Graham could write this section). The new edition could also be focused on desktop applications, since there seems to be more life and perspective in this direction today.

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
what is the maximum/optimum/safe length of the String type in B4P, for desktop and average device
Probably the max size for a String is 2^31-1 (2,147,483,647) bytes so it is essentially unlimited in practice.
of up-to-date (6.90-compatible) additional libraries
As far as I know all of my libraries are 6.90 compatible. If you find any that are not I can make them so, but only for desktop use as I have updated my computers to Windows 7 and switched to Visual Studio 2010 which cannot compile for the Compact Framework.
The new edition could also be focused on desktop applications, since there seems to be more life and perspective in this direction today.
That would appear to be so with the demise of Windows Mobile. Regrettably I don't think that the target audience is large enough to warrant the time that would be required to rework the book. However Basic4ppc lives on for me for desktop use. :sign0162:

Sir Isaac

A nice chance to say that your contribution to the project is simply immense. Thank you.

Yeah, I see that you keep (and document) your creations up-to-date, so I actually meant all worth-mentioning 6.90-compatible libs (just to sort some definitely obsolete things out).

As long as you often help out other library developers, you're undoubtedly the leading expert who can introduce the libs collection and suggest the right strategy and tips for (new) users of additional libraries. Well, if you're not in manual-writing mood anymore, you could treat it as a distinguished lib writer's memoirs, that'll do :D

And I really think B4P should head desktopward. I believe it can compete with (or supplement) VS, in many awesome ways.

Last edited: