Battery Saver project

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys

After a few failed attempts by my device to connect to my PC i've come to notice that when no comunication is set between the device and the PC the device does not Charge (via USB).
This seems not to be active sinc related but to the "virtual" Net connection created at connect time between the two...

This got me thinking...

I do my Devices charging by the usb connection since my AC charger has broken...
My original Battery got a memory effect and I had to buy a new one...

Is there any way of "disconecting" the device from the PC thus stopping the charging service?

It is quite simple to create an app to monitor battery status while charging and I wanted to be able to "un-plug" it when 100% was reached...

Thanks

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
After a few failed attempts by my device to connect to my PC i've come to notice that when no comunication is set between the device and the PC the device does not Charge (via USBThanks
How strange! Entirely different to mine which charges all the time it is plugged in whether connected or not. It even charges when the computer has shut down as long as the mains is still connnected to the tower.

I expect that your device has Li-ion batteries so I would't worry about any memory effect. Li-ion batteries don't suffer in the say (EDIT - same) way as Ni-Cd batteries did when short-cycled but they still die eventually. Perhaps yours just got old.

I also wouldn't worry about overcharging. A lot of Li-ion batteries have a microprocessor inside them that monitors charge state (that's how the PDA can tell you how much % charge is left when you change batteries) and most PDAs have a reasonably sophisticated charger that monitors battery state of charge and battery temperature and adjusts the charging rate accordingly.

If your battery has more than two contacts (the one on my Axim has five!) you can be reasonably sure that your PDA has good battery charge management that you probably can't improve on.

Last edited: