Android Question Best GPS and Map-library?

Roger C

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I would like to get som input from you all about what is the best map solution today.
I've found a comparision here but that's 4 years old.

I need to use Hi-res maps, pathfinder, transformation of points to smooth lines, cache for off-line-mode....

Google will charge money and I'm not too sure that I, in the end, will stay below the $200/month of cost.
And no, I will not pay Google.
GoogleMapView-Library needs an api-key from Google.

I've looked at OSMDroid (http://www.b4x.com/forum/additional...tes/16309-osmdroid-mapview-b4a.html#post92643).
But does this update anymore? The source at GitHub was last updated 2 months ago, but warwound's last update on the Android-library is five years old.
Most of the Tileproviders in the tutorials don't give a map anymore, or they need a paid for api-key.
It's seems as Mapnik and OSMPublic Transport are the only two working sources...

So, has someone already done this search for best Map-provider?
Have you found a free world-wide solution?

Roger C

Licensed User
Longtime User
As a complement to above regarding GoogleMaps...
It's free to use the Map-part for Android through Maps SDK for Android. Unlimited use.
But if you need Places, Routes, POI.... Anything besids just using the Map... It will cost and a lot. Read more here.

I've had 5 api's at Google for many years but not used them the last 2-3 years. Now I remove all but Maps.

Also, if you read the term of using Google Maps. We are NOT allowed to...
...use the Google Map Service and put our own Points, Paths, track things, record paths... on that map in order to re-create a Service similar to what Google have.
...use directions, POIs, information from Google, on non-Google Maps.

How does that work for us? What should we have Maps for if we can't use them? Specially since the app GoogleMaps contains more and more functions. To do something Google hasn't done already is rather hard...

Complete terms here

3.2.4 Restrictions Against Misusing the Services.

(a) No Scraping. Customer will not extract, export, scrape, or cache Google Maps Content for use outside the Services. For example, Customer will not (i) pre-fetch, index, store, reshare, or rehost Google Maps Content outside the services; (ii) bulk download geocodes; (iii) copy business names, addresses, or user reviews; or (iv) use Google Maps Content with text-to-speech services. Caching is permitted for certain Services as described in the Maps Service Specific Terms.

(b) No Creating Content From Google Maps Content. Customer will not create content based on Google Maps Content, including tracing, digitizing, or creating other datasets based on Google Maps Content.

(c) No Re-Creating Google Products or Features. Customer will not use the Services to create a product or service with features that are substantially similar to or that re-create the features of another Google product or service. Customer’s product or service must contain substantial, independent value and features beyond the Google products or services. For example, Customer will not: (i) re-distribute the Google Maps Core Services or pass them off as if they were Customer’s services; (ii) create a substitute of the Google Maps Core Services, Google Maps, or Google Maps mobile apps, or their features; (iii) use the Google Maps Core Services in a listings or directory service or to create or augment an advertising product; (iv) combine data from the Directions API, Geolocation API, and Maps SDK for Android to create real-time navigation functionality substantially similar to the functionality provided by the Google Maps for Android mobile app.

(d) No Use With Non-Google Maps. Customer will not use the Google Maps Core Services in a Customer Application that contains a non-Google map. For example, Customer will not (i) display Places listings on a non-Google map, or (ii) display Street View imagery and non-Google maps in the same Customer Application.

Last edited:
Upvote 0