B4R Tutorial Big-endian and Little-endian

I didn't know what was the difference was between Big-endian and Little-endian, so I just looked up about it on the internet as I needed to know the difference for a sketch I was converting. I just thought that I would share the following information with you.

Please note: I didn't write the following information, I just copied and pasted it for all to read.

Big-endian and little-endian are terms that describe the order in which a sequence of bytes are stored in computer memory.

Big-endian is an order in which the "big end" (most significant value in the sequence) is stored first (at the lowest storage address).

Little-endian is an order in which the "little end" (least significant value in the sequence) is stored first. For example, in a big-endian computer, the two bytes required for the hexadecimal number 4F52 would be stored as 4F52 in storage (if 4F is stored at storage address 1000, for example, 52 will be at address 1001). In a little-endian system, it would be stored as 524F (52 at address 1000, 4F at 1001).

Enjoy...

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It kind of reminds me of the difference between FIFO and LIFO memory chips...
Can it be there's a real relationship to this?