Android Question Can't find a particular contact using ContactUtils

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My app is using ContactUtils 1.10 (yes I know there is a new version), and it searches and displays contacts as the user enters search letters of the name they are looking for. I find the matches after every keystroke using this function:
B4X:
FindContactsByName

One user is reporting that it is not finding a particular contact after typing in a few letters of their names, but it shows other contacts with those letters.

So, the first thing that came to mind is that maybe there are different "phonebook" accounts just like there can be different "calendars" on a users device and the function is not searching every phonebook.

So first, am I correct in assuming that there is more then one "phonebook" (besides a "SIM" account).

So that's when I see there is a new ContactUtils 1.20 that mentions a new "GetAccounts" function. But I can not find any documentation how to use that function in relationship to finding a contact.

In other words, lets say I can call the GetAccounts function to get all the user's "Phonebook" accounts, but then how does this apply to the FindContactByName function - that function doesn't have a parameter to specify which account to search in.

Lastly, I can't simply have the user try a new version of my app using the new v1.20 ContactUtils because the app is in the app store and I can't create a release just for that because I am currently midstream in developing the app with other features.

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I still have a few questions, just to expand my knowledge of Android:

1) Can there be multiple phonebook accounts for a user?

2) And if so, do all the routines in ContactUtils work with any contacts, regardless of the phonebook they are in?

3) And if yes, then why is there an "GetAccounts" routine in the ContactUtils if all the routines work with all accounts?

Upvote 0