ChartsDevice.dll thick line at bottom of chart

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by RB Smissaert, Dec 27, 2008.

1. RB Smissaert

RB Smissaert Well-Known Member Licensed User

For some reason when I use the ChartsDevice dll (and same on the desktop)
    I get a thick line just above the x-axis going from position 0 to about 9 tenth
    of the x-axis. I noticed the provided example (the line chart) does the same and I have no idea how to get rid of it.
    Any ideas?

RBS

2. agraham

agraham Expert Licensed User

Assuming that you mean the line at y = 0 it is there by design to show the y axis origin.

3. RB Smissaert

I attached a .gif file that shows what I am talking about.
    The line in this image runs till the 9 in the second date.

RBS

Attached Files:

4. agraham

I don't see anything like that in the line chart example, Can you post the code that created the chart so I can try it on my system.

5. RB Smissaert

This code shows it with me:

Sub DrawLineChart

LineChart.New1(Image1.Width, Image1.Height)
    LineChart.Text = "BP values"
    LineChart.Color = Rgb(255,255,230)
    LineChart.ColorGradient = cBlue
    LineChart.GridSpacingValue = 20
    LineChart.MaxScaleValue = 180
    LineChart.MinScaleValue = 80
    LineChart.ShowGrid = False
    LineChart.BorderSize = 10
    LineChart.MarginForTextOnAxis = 10

LineChart.XAxisIntervalValue = 1
    LineChart.AddXAxisText(240,240, "")

LineChart.NewLine(cRed)
    LineChart.AddPoint(0, 160)
    LineChart.AddPoint(1, 150)
    LineChart.AddPoint(2, 155)
    LineChart.AddPoint(3, 170)
    LineChart.AddPoint(4, 180)
    LineChart.AddPoint(5, 150)
    LineChart.AddPoint(6, 140)
    linechart.ShowGrid = True
    LineChart.AddLine

LineChart.NewLine(cBlue)
    LineChart.AddPoint(0, 90)
    LineChart.AddPoint(1, 85)
    LineChart.AddPoint(2, 90)
    LineChart.AddPoint(3, 100)
    LineChart.AddPoint(4, 110)
    LineChart.AddPoint(5, 80)
    LineChart.AddPoint(6, 140)
    LineChart.AddLine

LineChart.NewLine(cGreen)
    LineChart.LineWidth = 1
    LineChart.AddPoint(0, 85)
    LineChart.AddPoint(5, 25)
    LineChart.AddPoint(10, 65)
    LineChart.AddPoint(15, 75)
    LineChart.AddPoint(20, 10)
    LineChart.AddTrendLine

Image1.Image =LineChart.Draw

End Sub

RBS

6. klaus

klaus Expert Licensed User

I have looked at your code.
    The code you posted doesn't match your image, why didn't you post the right code?

The problem lies in the line
    Code:
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]LineChart.AddXAxisText([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]240[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2],[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]240[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2], [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]""[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2])[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
    if you replae it by
    Code:
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]LineChart.AddXAxisText([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]0[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2],[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]20[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2], [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]""[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2])[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
    you get a 'normal' X axis.

With you code the program tries to draw no text at position 240.

Attached 2 images.

@agraham
    In trying this example I noticed that the parameter MinScaleValue with posutive values has no effect.

Code:
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]LineChart.MinScaleValue=[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]20[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Best regards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  7. agraham

There are two problems here :(

First this statment "LineChart.XAxisIntervalValue = 1" puts the X-axis ticks too close together for a maximum scale value of 240 so they run into each other as a grey bar.

Second, why then does the grey bar not extend to the end? The answer is that there is a bug in drawing the ticks when the max value of the X axis (which is determined by the max value defined in the AddXAxisText statements) is greater than the number of display pixels along the the X-axis. If you need a larger value than this the solution is to scale the X values to be less than that number of pixels.

@Klaus
    That is correct. MinScaleValue is intended for extending the Y value range into negative values. If it is greater than 0 it has no effect.

8. klaus

klaus Expert Licensed User

In my mind I would have expected, that if I had a chart with values between 80 and 100 and setting the MinScaleValue to 80 and MaxScaleValue to 100, getting a diagram with a streched Y scale from 80 to 100.

Unfortunately this seems not beeing the case.

Best regards.

9. RB Smissaert

> The code you posted doesn't match your image, why didn't you post the right code?

The code that produced the image I posted is a lot more complex and I would have to simplify it a lot. The code I posted is simple and shows the problem.
    Will look at Graham's post now.

RBS

10. agraham

11. RB Smissaert

> First this statment "LineChart.XAxisIntervalValue = 1" puts the X-axis ticks too close together for a maximum scale value of 240 so they run into each other as a grey bar.

Yes, thanks that was the problem and I can simply do:
    LineChart.XAxisIntervalValue = 240

As Klaus mentioned, it would be nice if you could make:
    LineChart.MinScaleValue =
    respond to positive values, so setting a positive lowest value for the Y-axis.

RBS

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice