Check for duplicates

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by moster67, Sep 6, 2008.

1. moster67

moster67 Expert Licensed User

I need to verify in a text-file (a word-list which might contain thousands of items) that there are no duplicates therein.

To verify if there are any duplicates, I am using the Hashtable-object from Agraham's Collection-library as follows:

Code:
    FileOpen(c2,"MyTextFile.txt",cRead)
          s=FileRead(c2)

Do Until s=EOF

If hash.ContainsKey(s) Then

'take note of the key (word) and do something
                               s=FileRead(C2)

Else       
                hash.Add(s, strAt(s,
    0))

End If
          s=FileRead(c2)

Loop
          FileClose(c2)
    Above works since the key must be unique and if I would try to add a duplicate key to the hashtable, then I would get an error.

Do you have any other suggestions, which are faster, to check for duplicates. I thought about loading the text file into two separate arrays and then check one array's words against the other array's words but I think that would be slower.

As mentioned above, I am talking about a lot of words, could be 80000-90000 items.

Any advice would be appreciated.

rgds,
    moster67

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Expert Licensed User

Although I'm not familiar with it, I think regex would be faster....

3. moster67

moster67 Expert Licensed User

Thank you.

I have heard a lot about RegEx but like yourself I am not familiar with it (to be honest it looks teriibly complicated).

So for the time being, I will probably stick to the Hashtable but I will keep your suggestion in mind.

rgds,
    moster67

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice