Check for Sub existance

Scubaticus

Licensed User
Is there a way to find out if a Sub exists.

I know I can use an errorlabel to catch undefined callSubs, but I'm looking for a clean way to find out the existence of a sub.

One problem using the errorlabel cause the program to loop, but this is probably because the errorlabel itself is in the If stucture:
Sub doCalSubs

ErrorLabel(InValidSub)

For ii = 1 To 2
CallSub ("Sub_" & ii)
InValidSub:
Next

End Sub

Sub Sub_1
End Sub
So a separate question is, what is happening with my vars when an error jumps in?

Scub.

Last edited:

Scubaticus

Licensed User
I assume that you know the names of all the subs.
You can add these names to an ArrayList and use ArrayList.IndexOf to check if the sub exists.
Before the callSub I used a Select/Case......
Now when I ad a sub, or remove it I also have to keep track of the array values.

It would be nice if there was some kind of "if exist" (sub, control, etc.)

Scub

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Still I agree with Erel.....

I do can see your point, but beeing a sub a must know thing in your app, it's easyer to create an array and update it...

It would be nice to have a "special" array with all the subs names automatically updated when project was saved...

Scubaticus

Licensed User
Still I agree with Erel.....
Well, yes and no. Of course, it's a good thing to know your subs. But I work with "objects" and one of it's properties is used as a special sub-call. But it does not need to exist.

Life would become easier (just like the function_exists in PHP for example). I'm just missing the check of existence. The controls for example. Do you put all your controls in array? I don't, but trying to set a control, because you use a template for example, which does not exist causes an error to rise. And yes to catch those errors errorlabel could be used, but I think the errorlabel thing is not what it should be. I'm not interested if an error somewhere in my sub occurs, but do if it's on a specific statement. Now I have to define a whole new sub just to catch these kind of errors......

Scub