B4R Question Chinese board

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have another board which I got by AliExpress, The only difference is that the usb driver is different. To load it to Arduino's software I have to choose Nano board (only once), the driver loads and after that I use it like the real one with UNO.
Here I can't get it to find the port.

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The port, I have only port 1 and it doesn't work with it.
Error opening port
jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - COM3; Method name - openPort(); Exception type - Port not found.

For the board I use UNO but it probably does not have the usb driver for it.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/UNO-R3-MEGA328P-For-Arduino-without-USB-Cable/2041245131.html
The seller's instructions:
Usage:
1 download for arduino 's IDE
2 USB chip driver download;
3 Plug NANO development board, the driver will automatically install
4 Select the card inside the die UNO
5 Select the COM port that my computer can query your UNO board just inside the port
6 best first choice , for arduino own routine procedures , burn inside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
After setting it once to Nano I changed to Arduino/Genuino UNO and there it works without any additional settings.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't fully understand your first post as the driver selected for use with an Arduino board is selected by Windows and not by the Arduino IDE which, like B4R, just sees the list of COM ports available on the system so I am assuming that the correct USB driver is not available to Windows.

The seller said " Replaced 16u2, so the cost is reduced by half, to get the maximum benefit consumers" so it looks like it is not using the usual Mega16u2 for the USB interface. A lot of cheap clones are coming out of China using a CH340G USB chip on Arduinos that normally use the FTDI232RL, maybe your UNO has had the Mega16u2 replaced by one of these. What is written on the black 16 pin chip next to the USB connector and by the four empty holes delineated as "X1"?

Normally you would install the correct driver as described here https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows#toc4 but I don't think that a CH340G driver is included.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am not at home now so I can't check the board.
The arduino IDE finds the port driver and connects. I did load the driver from the seller but that was long time ago and I have changed both the os to win10 and deleted arduino 1.6.5 and installed 1.6.8.
After all that Arduino IDE found the driver for the port somehow.

Upvote 0

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe the driver was stored in the windows files and survived the Win10 upgrade...
I checked the link from the seller' s site but it is broken.

Upvote 0

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll check tonight, but anyway if the driver exists (arduino finds it) , why doesn't B4r ?

Upvote 0

Jaames

Licensed User
Longtime User
The same here

I have connected , UNO board and chinese NANO (with CH340G) :
20160411_164455_HDR.jpg

Arduino IDE finds both boards, and they work well :

20160411_164519_HDR.jpg

Suggested B4J program lists all connected boards (COM7 in my example is NANO with CH340 chip which B4R don't see) :

20160411_164434_HDR.jpg

But B4R lists only the UNO (COM8 with MEGA16u2 as usb interface) :

20160411_165713_HDR.jpg

But hey, I have UNO which works, and I can play with lovely new IDE :)
Thank You @Anywhere_Software ! :)

Attachments

• 20160411_164533_HDR.jpg
    20160411_164533_HDR.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0