Community project, NO CASH just a warm fuzzy feeling

dibb3386

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey there was a post a while ago about starting a community project didnt happen hardly any posts.(i think it was me, erel who said thats fine to do, go for it and one other person)

So, its coming up to Christmas and a Santa app would be great to start some community projects, so all source code would be published to everyone on the forum use as you will. Slap an ad on it and use it as your own whatever you want.

I was thinking that we should have a polling system for ideas and best code/image/layout/ideas to use but i dont think its supported on b4a forums? If not we could base it of post likes (bit harder to monitor due to different things thats needed for each section, but doable) Everyone who contributes gets credited even its a graphic, idea or a snippet of code however small. AS LONG AS YOUR A REGISTERED PAID MEMBER! If your graphic, idea or code dont get picked...well tuff luck... joking, perhaps something in a contributions section of a scrolling credits.

When i say this it my idea so am included in the credits at the TOP! no, its an idea... ill post my ideas/code in a new post and if they dont fit what everyone wants, put me in the contributions section.

CODE HAS TO BE OPEN SOURCE ALL THE WAY, THE FINISHED PRODUCT IS FOR EVERYONE, EVEN IF THEY WANT TO DO ADS TO MAKE SOME CASH, OR CHARGE FOR DOWNLOADS
*dont post ideas/graphics/code that you dont want open for all to have*
**Also dont steal, has to be 100% yours google is not your friend for this**

Hopefully we will build a community project.

Last edited:

dibb3386

Licensed User
Longtime User
My ideas:

a fake phone dialling screen like droid dialing (might have to be slightly different like snow flake buttons or images so you can tell its the app and the child isnt dialling a long distant call) press any 6 or X digits and santa or an elf or whatever answers (based of the phone/tab clock to change the message each day on the build up to xmas.

A count down to Xmas

Google map santa tracker!!! thats awesome lol. http://www.google.com/santatracker/

All good things have to come to an end, after X days after xmas pre recording and gmaps (come back next year)

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is actually a very good Idea... graphics are the bigger pain in the royal... you know...

dibb3386

Licensed User
Longtime User
Something I never thought about, audio files for the Santa call, impossible to find for free use. Who has a good Santa impression then? :D time to start recording some messages!

dibb3386

Licensed User
Longtime User
IDEA: an advent calender that posts a story or something each day from 1st of december and maybe a video on the 25th. A christmas Carol is free and has no copyright..old cartoon but still a classic. I was originally looking for the Snowman as a short free film but cant find any copyright or free download that says so, so might be a bad idea to do that one.

EDIT: A Christmas Carol would probs have to be streamed tho due to the size of the file unless someone has some good (really good) video compression secrets that they would like to show off with. So the app would be a reasonable download size with the video file included.

dibb3386

Licensed User
Longtime User
A few layout ideas
mtaesd1bn

9zccz0nw3

addoym7zn

Dont think they are showing up so link to gallery of them
http://postimg.org/gallery/3e7c1sq7o/

Also started some coding, got time to label and countdown in days working, also simple webview to point to googles santa tracker.

B4X:
#Region  Project Attributes
    #ApplicationLabel:Santa App
    #VersionCode: 1
    #VersionName: B4a Community Project
    'SupportedOrientations possible values: unspecified, landscape or portrait.
    #SupportedOrientations: portrait
    #CanInstallToExternalStorage: False
#End Region

#Region  Activity Attributes
    #FullScreen: True
    #IncludeTitle: False
#End Region

Sub Process_Globals
    'These global variables will be declared once when the application starts.
    'These variables can be accessed from all modules.
Dim timClock As Timer
Private target As Long
   Private CountDowntimer As Timer
End Sub

Sub Globals
    'These global variables will be redeclared each time the activity is created.
    'These variables can only be accessed from this module.

Private CallBtn As Button   
    Private DialLbl As Label
    Private NumberPanel As Panel
    Private PhonePanel As Panel
    Private QuickDial1 As Button
    Private QuickDial2 As Button
    Private QuickDial3 As Button
    Private AppsBtn As Button
    Private ClockLbl As Label
    Private CountdownLbl As Label
    Private MainCallBtn As Button
    Private MainPanel As Panel
    Private AppMenuCallBtn As Button
    Private AppMenuCloseBtn As Button
    Private AppMenuCountdownBtn As Button
    Private AppMenuPanel As Panel
    Private AppMenuTrackerBtn As Button
    Private AppMenuAdventBtn As Button
    Private TrackerWebView As WebView
    Private AdventBtn As Button
    Private CountdownImg As ImageView
    Private AdventPanel As Panel

End Sub

Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
    Activity.LoadLayout("main")
    ClockLbl.Text = "00:00"
DateTime.TimeFormat = "HH:mm:ss"
    timClock.Initialize("timClock",1)
    timClock.Enabled = True
If FirstTime Then
     target = DateUtils.SetDate(DateTime.GetYear(DateTime.Now) + 0, 12, 25)
     CountDowntimer.Initialize("CountDownTimer", 1000)
   End If
   CountDowntimer.Enabled = True
End Sub

Sub Activity_Resume

End Sub

Sub Activity_Pause (UserClosed As Boolean)

End Sub
'Main Screen
Sub CountDownTimer_Tick
   Dim p As Period = DateUtils.PeriodBetweenInDays(DateTime.Now, target)
   CountdownLbl.Text = Format(p.Days) & " days until Christmas "
End Sub
Sub Format(n As Int) As String
   Return NumberFormat(n, 2, 0)
End Sub
Sub timclock_Tick
    'DateTime.TimeFormat = "hh:mm"
    ClockLbl.Text = DateTime.time(DateTime.Now)
End Sub
Sub CallBtn_Click
Activity.LoadLayout("phone")
End Sub
Sub AppsBtn_Click
Activity.LoadLayout("appmenu")
End Sub
'App Menu
Sub AppMenuCallBtn_Click
Activity.LoadLayout("phone")
End Sub

Sub AppMenuCloseBtn_Click
Activity.LoadLayout("main")
End Sub

Sub AppMenuCountdownBtn_Click

End Sub
Sub AppMenuTrackerBtn_Click
TrackerWebView.Visible = True
TrackerWebView.LoadUrl("http://www.google.com/santatracker/")
End Sub
Sub AppMenuAdventBtn_Click
AdventPanel.Visible = True
End Sub
'Advent
Sub AdventBtn_Click
AdventPanel.Visible = True
End Sub

Last edited:

dibb3386

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok so have a rough update, so there is:
  • a clock on the main page
  • X days till christmas,
  • a call button (goes to phone layout but no number etc yet, has 3 quick dial placement holders)
  • an advent calendar set up but again very rough and doesnt include days yet or do anything.
  • google tracker, which is a simple webview going to googles santa tracker ( may try use norad santa tracker as it uses google earth to show an animation of santa on the sled traveling around the world)
  • Added a label to countdown button so X days to christmas will show on a big count down button which has an image of a blank calendar.
  • As above shows a big label with days, hours, mins, secs till christmas (shows the count down in a label, days, hours, mins, secs, not a live countdown yet only refreshes when you go out and back in again but plan on doing it so it counts down while in the label view)
The graphics and layouts are not very good but focusing on getting it working than it looking good at the moment (nightmare finding free images for commercial use, Screen sizes havent been really adjusted to fit all either, just autoscaleall, autoscale rate(0.9) in designer scripts so it fits on my tab3 for testing.

Anyways uploaded the source of what ive done so far, might have some extra comments ive left in for myself as reminders and things like that. Also had to upload to filedropper as to big for b4a forum :(

http://www.filedropper.com/santa10

dibb3386

Licensed User
Longtime User
Scrapping this project due to no interest. I might continue this myself but doubt ill make it before the start of December so can this thread be deleted please mods /admins.

Ill post my code still if i do finish it so others can use it and change to how they see fit.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
what about a small santa game competition?

still a month left to create some small game.