Company name in software package

stevefan

Licensed User
Longtime User
I intend to use handango and similar to try and sell my app. When using setupbuilder to create the .exe, is it OK to just make up a company name? For example the program is called Star Manager, and I was thinking of using the name "Star Manager Software". Should I search for, or register the name? If so, does anyone have hints on how to do that?

I have only tested it on my HP IPAQ hx2490b running WIndows Mobile 5. How should I communicate the supported devices based on that? I'm pretty sure for example it won't run on SmartPhone (I use the normal screen size and assume stylus). I also havn't done anything about VGA and don't know if I should.

I also thought I might as well offer the Windows PC version as well, since it works with no additional development, and the market is presumably much bigger. Has anyone else here done that?

Has anyone here been able to make any money from selling their apps?

Any hints and tips gratefully received.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think you could also leave the company name empty. Anyway "Star Manager Software" sounds good to me.

If you are using the optimized compiler or one of the .Net 2.0 libraries then your program requires .Net CF 2.0.
As you wrote it will not work on non-touchscreen devices unless you compile it as a smartphone application.
Good luck with your new application!

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Should I search for, or register the name?
You don't say where you are ocated but here in the UK you can trade using any name you like without any bureaucracy as long as the name does not infringe anyones' copyright or is the name of another company. Here the only people interested might be the Inland Revenue as theoretically you may be liable for both Self-employed National Insurance Contributions and also Income Tax on your activities. In practice they probably aren't bothered until you get successful.

I also havn't done anything about VGA and don't know if I should.
Probably, there are more and more VGA devices out there. I now have two VGA devices and only one QVGA device.

I also thought I might as well offer the Windows PC version as well, since it works with no additional development, and the market is presumably much bigger.
You may as well, the incremental effort is probably insignificant.

Has anyone here been able to make any money from selling their apps?
Not since the days of my Forth compiler for the TRS-80, and then it didn't make much!

bdiscount

Licensed User
Company name

Agraham is rite where you are mens a lot.
To copyright it in the Globals area insert " ' copyrighted by steven etc "
I would use a company name like your initials SCS(Stevens Comp.Software)
Then give it to people to beta test on different ppc models to try for you.
I haven't developed in years as I can't compete with the big shops(MS,Adobe etc0 I just do it for fun and my own use, I am retired for 20 years now.
Good luck.

stevefan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Beta Testing

Would this be a suitable forum to ask for beta testers? Basically I just need to know if it runs on various devices.

I have been ticking the "otimised compiler" check box and it works fine on my PPC. Can I deduce that my PPC includes .NET CF 2.0? Would it be a good idea to include a non optimized compiled version in my package, for users who don't have this and won't (can't be bothered) to download it to test a demo?

By the way, its a football (soccer) league management game with text commentary.

Steve

Zenerdiode

Licensed User
I have various devices that I may beta test for you:

TDS Recon - WM5.0 200MHz XScale
hp iPaq hx4700 WM2003SE Intel XScale PXA270 624 MHz (VGA Device)
hp iPaq hx2190b - PXA270 312MHz WM5.0

bdiscount

Licensed User
beta

What you need it tested on are the different OSs such as WM2003, wm5.0, 6.1 and possibly palms OS. VGA and QVGA Smart Phone for display purposes. I would offer but I only have wm6.0 I sold my older devices.

stevefan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I hope to test it on as many OS as possible. For the VGA I simply intend to include unoptimized (I without ticking that box when compiling for device) in the package. I think Im being lazy here though as I remember seeing another way to do this in the Forums.

For the Smartphone I dont think I can support this as one of the forms needs all the real estate of the standard screen, and also Im using lots of controls not supported in the smart phone version.

stevefan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thankyou to all those who offered to try this on your devices. Ive it on starmanager.weebly.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

stevefan

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi stevefan,

I tested your program on my Qtek 9090
with WM 2003 Version 4.21.1088 and with .NET CF 2.0.

I installed the program with starmanagersetup.exe via ActiveSynchon my device.
The first time I tried to start it I got an out of memory message.
Made some room in the device memory and I could start it.
Loading time about 30 - 35 sec.

The program works OK.

I am not a football fan so I can't tell anything about the functionalities.

Best regards.

specci48

Licensed User
Longtime User
... I tried to start it I got an out of memory message.
Me, too. But I was not able to create enough room in the device memory. :sign0148:
The hp rx1950 is a WM5 device with only 32 MB ram. Has anybody successfully started the application with such minimum ram and WM5?

specci48

(yes, I know that I've already missed the right time to buy a new one... ;))

stevefan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thankyou for this feedback. It is very useful. Maybe the program is simply too big and needs a redesign to make it smaller and smarter. Its 14K lines of code, about half of which are functions which are all very similar in their logic ie display a line of commentary describing the game state eg "x passes the ball to y", and then choosing what happens next from several possibilities eg "y shoots" taking into account a few variables eg players ability. The actual lines of commentary are read from file into a table. I think I need to look at SQLite (not ever worked with database yet) and see if I can achieve the same result with less code.

stevefan

Licensed User
Longtime User
I found a jpeg that was still 400K. Resized it to a few K, which reduced the setup.exe by similar, tp 1.5MB.

I noted the before and after Free memory on the device

Unoptimised version 11MB
Optimised version 7MB

Number of lines of code 14K

Is 7MB reasonable or excessive? Would a good place to look at reducing memory be in the arrays that I use?