control (build in) webcam on desktop

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
I bought a new laptop yesterday :sign0060:

It has a built in webcam, so I was thinking of building a similar program as mentioned here
Is there a way of controling it through B4PPC?
It shows up in the hardware list as a usb2.0 webcam..

Thanks

colin9876

Licensed User
me too - that would be useful

That would be so cool if B4PPC could access the web cam, or the camera. I wanted to try and write a routine that detects the devices rotation from landscape to portrait - like they do on the new HTC diamond OS

AGraham - is it theoretically technically possible to write a C library to grab frames from the camera? If so how difficult?

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
You will need an external library to communicate with the webcam.
What are the requirements for this lib?
There are several kinds of dll's and only one kind can be used with B4PPC..which one ?

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
AGraham - is it theoretically technically possible to write a C library to grab frames from the camera? If so how difficult?
Repeat after me - C# is not C - B4PPC needs .NET dlls written in a .NET language and C is not a .NET language.

But yes, I'm playing with a bit of C# code I've found that captures single images from the webcam on my EEE PC using Windows native avicap32.dll. No promises but I might be able turn it into a B4PPC library once I understand what's going on.

colin9876

Licensed User
camera

Sorry - c#! Thats the problem with these geniuses they get very touchy! lol!

Anyway if you can get Basic4ppc to capture a jpeg that would be amazing! I think you deserve another award for doing the wave generator, but a cam function would definately be ground breaking!

Does the device connect to the cam through a serial connection? My device has 2 cams, do they both connect in the same way?
Does cams send the picture as a stream of pixels? Im curious if the camera sends it in JPEG format to the WM OS, or does it get compressed later?

Last edited: