Copying from a textbox with IgnoreKey

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by BjornF, Mar 10, 2008.

1. BjornF

BjornF Active Member Licensed User

I have a textbox with a content which I want to protect from accidental changes. For this I am using a text box with IgnoreKey.

However I would also like the user to be able to copy parts from that text. Unfortunately the IgnoreKey also makes the textbox ignore ctrl-C (although you can mark text with shift-arrow). Is there any easy solution to this that I have overlooked?

all the best / Björn

2. Filippo

Filippo Expert Licensed User

3. BjornF

Stupid

:signOops:

Sorry, of course all you need to do is right click and then save... / Björn

Edit:
    Filippo - that is very neat, I'll put that in as well (just for us who don't know how to use the right click), thanks

4. Leginus

Leginus Member Licensed User

You can do it by creating your own copy and paste buttons and using the selstart and sellength property. Example attached

Code:
    Sub Globals

'Declare the global variables here.
    Dim CopyText
    End Sub

Sub App_Start
       Form1.Show

End Sub

Sub TextBox1_KeyPress (key)
    textbox1.IgnoreKey
    End Sub

Sub btnCopy_Click
    copyText=SubString(textbox1.text,textbox1.SelectionStart,textbox1.SelectionLength)
    End Sub

Sub btnPaste_Click
    textbox2.Text=copytext
    End Sub

5. BjornF

Thank you Leginus,
    I can see that that is also a way of doing it, it's just that I'm a firm believer of standardisation and when you have learned that Ctrl-C copies the text in almost all applications it is very frustrating to encounter one in which it does not. ;)

I think Filippo's ReadOnly mode for the textbox is exactly what I was after.

all the best / Björn