B4J Question Data Collection Solution and DB

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
I'm trying Data Collection Solution by @Erel Tutorial and I see that the solution use a SQLLite db as primary database and it has very good performances.

Thinking about to use a different database, which of the following db is the best in term of performance and support (documentation & community) ?

1) MySQL
2) MongoDB
3) Others ?

for example, think about a client / server solution that should support many concurrent connections and much traffic.

Thanks in advance for your reply :)

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
I always use mariaDB for my new projects.

both were created by the same guy but mariaDB is the "in case Oracle goes mad" version.

mariaDB is in some cases faster, has some additional features and its development is also faster than mySQl, their stable branch updates quite quickly compared to MySQL

For example, CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS is a sentence i use a lot, but it arrived first to MariaDB and later much later to MySQL

Another example of MariaDB vs MySQL is Galera...

it is a master to master server replication, it means you can have 2 servers each with an instance of mariaDB both being redundant and having the same information. and you can do this with... like 5 steps.

Upvote 0

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
I always use mariaDB for my new projects.

both were created by the same guy but mariaDB is the "in case Oracle goes mad" version.

mariaDB is in some cases faster, has some additional features and its development is also faster than mySQl, their stable branch updates quite quickly compared to MySQL

For example, CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS is a sentence i use a lot, but it arrived first to MariaDB and later much later to MySQL

Another example of MariaDB vs MySQL is Galera...

it is a master to master server replication, it means you can have 2 servers each with an instance of mariaDB both being redundant and having the same information. and you can do this with... like 5 steps.

WOW! Very Interesting! I think I first try the MariaDB.

@LucaMs I'm curious about your comment. Why I told that you prefer MySQL (without doubt) instead MariaDb? :)

Upvote 0

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't know MariaDB but I think it is an open source version of MySQL, on which many people will get their hands on. I fear future incompatibilities.

Furthermore, usually the original is better.

https://softwareengineering.stackex...hats-the-difference-between-mariadb-and-mysql

From that link I can read... "To my understanding MariaDB is maintained and enhanced by the original MySQL developers, and MySQL is maintained and enhanced by Oracle. It depends on who you want to do that job".

It seem that the parallel project "MariaDB" is maintained directly from the original dev team not by Oracle.
From my point of view this should be benefit (maintained and enhanced by the original MySQL developer) :)

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Additionally you need to know that MySQL used in a business need a License.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It seem that the parallel project "MariaDB" is maintained directly from the original dev team not by Oracle.
From my point of view this should be benefit (maintained and enhanced by the original MySQL developer) :)
My point of view is exactly the opposite; I think people trust more in a big house than in some former employee.

Additionally you need to know that MySQL used in a business need a License.
Professional things are expensive, they are not free.

Upvote 0