Developers Needed Urgently

I need urgently developers for our offline map applicaton for our android tab.The application should be like osmand but designing and coding should be diffferent as osmand is having GNU/GPL v3 licensing so we can't use them..
Plz reply asap with your qoutes...

Regarding My project

Actually in our application we don't want to publish the source code as per the terms of GPL/GNU license..So in case of LGPL we hv to publish it i think..what do think abt it???

Reply ASAP..

hi

[Actually in our application we don't want to publish the source code as per the terms of GPL/GNU license..So in case of LGPL we hv to publish it i think..what do think abt it???

Reply ASAP..
My mail id is [email protected]

hi

I need someone who can develop the app similar like osmand/osmdroid in under apache 2.0 license or whatever w can use so that we don't need to publish the source code as per as licensing terms are concerned...

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Take a look at this page: Android - OpenStreetMap Wiki

It lists available Android software that supports OpenStreetMap.
Some of the software are applications and some are libraries such as OSMDroid.

There's very few listed with Apache License 2.0 licence:

maps-minus looks like a project that was started but never completed.
It uses a MapsActivity not a standard Activity so is of no use for a B4A library.

My Tracks is an application and not a library so no use either.

Orux Maps is also an application and not a library.

osmeditor4android (codename Vespucci) looks to be a library but is intended to be a map editor nor a map viewer by the looks of it.

And that's the only Apache License 2.0 projects listed on that wiki page.

Back to OSMDroid though.
Take a look at this thread on the OSMDroid google group: How free is OSM - osmdroid | Google Groups

To me that implies that you can use OSMDroid in a commercial application without publishing the source code of the entire application.
BUT there are technical things to consider - read the entire thread through and you'll see what i mean.

I started a new thread on the same group asking for advice on the LGPL issue and so far no-one has replied: https://groups.google.com/group/osmdroid/browse_frm/thread/67b806821900b5a7?hl=en#.

Martin.

Regarding licensing

Can we use gosmore offline map application for commercial purpose??Its having BSD license...:sign0085:

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Looks like Gosmore is a C++ library.

It's not a java library that can be made into a B4A library.
I've got no experience of C++ so have no idea how you'd even use it in a B4A application let alone what the implications of the BSD license are.

Martin.

Regarding licensing

hi martin...even if we use java for a standard b4a application but if the license is bsd can we use it for commercial purpose??:sign0085:

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you read the terms and condition of the BSD license?

There's a lot to read and understand but this paragraph sums it up i think:

The only restrictions placed on users of software released under a typical BSD license are that if they redistribute such software in any form, with or without modification, they must include in the redistribution (1) the original copyright notice, (2) a list of two simple restrictions and (3) a disclaimer of liability. These restrictions can be summarized as (1) one should not claim that they wrote the software if they did not write it and (2) one should not sue the developer if the software does not function as expected or as desired. Some BSD licenses additionally include a clause that restricts the use of the name of the project (or the names of its contributors) for endorsing or promoting derivative works.

It seems a very generous license but as always you must play fair and attribute original work where required.

Martin.

Need Help

I want to convert java swing based applications to run on android platform like myphysicslab.com web based midlet applications into android..Is it possible in any way???

:sign0085:

Thanx martin for your help...bt for this j2 android application tool haven't found any links on net it's showing myriad error....:sign0085:

Need Help

Thanx martin for your help...bt for this j2 android application tool haven't found any links on net it's showing myriad error....:sign0085:

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It looks as though the J2Android application is not generally available.

Myriad isn’t targeting end users. Instead, J2Android is described as a utility that will let phone makers, wireless carriers, and mobile app stores expand the number of apps available for Android.

So that is no longer an option.

There seems to be no one click solution to convert Java MIDlet code to an Android application :(

Your only option seems to be to grab the MIDlet source code and importing it into an Eclipse project.
Then create a new B4A library project in Eclipse and gradually copy the methods that you require in B4A from the MIDlet source to your B4A library class or classes.

Eventually you be able to compile the B4A library and use the methods you have created in a B4A project.
You then have to use B4A Views to replicate the original javax.swing user interface.

Far from simple - you'll need to understand both Java and the simulation algorithms before you can even start to port the MIDlet methods to a B4A library.

Martin.

Help Needed

Hi martin thanx for your previous post.Can u tell me that using Jbox2d can we do that thing?And Jbox2d is under newbsd license so can we modify the code for that?:sign0085:

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi again.

It looks to me as though you could create a B4A library from the Jbox2d Java library.

Look at the Jbox2d reference: jbox2d-library 2.1.2.2 API.

For each Jbox2d class that you want to use within B4A you'd need to create a wrapper class in the library.

So click through the various classes under the top left All Classes frame and look at the ones you'd want to use.
Now look at the methods and properties of the classes you want to use.

Each class you want to use will require that you create a wrapper class to enable you to use it within B4A.
And in that wrapper class you need to create methods and properties that mirror the methods and properties of the original class.

If you understand the basics of how Jbox2d works then you could start off with a library that provides minimal functionality and then update as and when you need to use more classes.

That's not something that i understand though.

Martin.