Games Development Roadblocks

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What kind of roadblocks do you face when developing a game?

The one I'm facing now, apart from not having enough time, is a lack of creativity.
My engine is practically finished and as I'm trying for move towards pure game design, I can't really decide which route to take.

In my current project, monetization is secondary, I don't really care about the money making part, at least not at this point. When a friend of mine asked me why I was doing it, as in, what is my objective, I replied: "Well, my dream is that, once released, some famous youtuber will find it, play it and consider it one of the best games he played in a while!"

I under so much pressure to create something really cool / enjoyable / meaningful, that I can't come up with anything in terms of level design / story / objectives.

Another thing I'd like to do would be adding 'boss fights', but that would require me to write an entirely new A.I. module and possibly come up with some clever trick to have bigger sprites (yeah, I created some stupid limitations).

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't develop games, but, roadblocks wise, my main issue is... My apps are very clear in my mind, as to what they're meant to do, but the "how to do it" usually blocks me...
Plus, finding the correct workflow for it.. I find myself restarting the same project over and over, just trying to make the workflow as adaptable as possible...

An Schi

Licensed User
I suffer from the 'Luca-Syndrom' ;);)
I have a lot of ideas in my mind but i find it hard to start something big. Somehow these things become overwhelming in my head before i actualy write a single line.
Most of the time i'm doing small apps for my personal use. Those do only one task, have a clear start and end point and take only some days to finish.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Another thing I'd like to do would be adding 'boss fights', but that would require me to write an entirely new A.I. module and possibly come up with some clever trick to have bigger sprites (yeah, I created some stupid limitations).

i assume you mean that the character needs to be in the size of a cube like every other object in your mario example. if this is the case then this may be a real problem.

if you ask me wonder (and i am really telling you it as a friend) you are really talented and your engine is really cool but it does not mean that you must stick to it and create a game only with it. so i think it was a great period of study for you and now you should create a game with tools that wont limit you.

you will learn it really quick.

so if you dont know what kind of game you should choose i would recommend you a game that is complicated because you are someone that likes challenges.
so no flappy bird!

i would choose a game with light effects, with physics, with shaders so lot of special effects. choosing something new will also give you new knowledge and it wont be boring for you.

you should also choose a game that you like to play. i always try to make apps (games) that i would download and not what is now popular.
i would really like to make something like Soul Knight.

i would choose such kind of game because it has new challenges for me and i like challenges. and it also looks really cool.

so bottom line:

- use professional tools (box2d!!)
- create a game that you would play for hours
- choose a game with new tools so you will increase your knowledge
- make it better then Perfect.
- dont rush to release it. i would say a 6-8 month project should be good.
- look for a artist to create unique assets for you. (invest few $ on it, it may be worth it)
- the game should be designed for PHONES and not big tablets. the reason for this is most phones have internet connection so you can use it for leader board, sending statistics, showing ads,...

Good Luck :)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement, @ilan!

According to my tests, I think that my engine does its job well and is probably able to go head-to-head with the big boys, at least in terms of platformers.
It does have its limitations (grid-based sprites, axis-aligned physics), but nevertheless, it doesn't shy away from a 16-Bit Super Mario game. :)

Now, in response to some of your remarks:

- Use professional tools (box2d!!)
Regarding Box2D, I've tried some examples in B4A, B4J and C++.
As a gamer, there is something off about it I can't really explain. Everything feels... "floaty", I don't know, it doesn't feel right.
Don't take me wrong, Box2D is a monumental piece of software, but say... if Mario games were written with Box2D, Mario wouldn't feel like Mario.
For me, "game feel" is really important. Is what makes a game feel unique. That's the reason why I try to handcraft my own physics.
That said, I know I will eventually get to work with Box2D. :D

- Choose a game with new tools so you will increase your knowledge
I've been learning Unreal Engine 4. :)

- Look for a artist to create unique assets for you
As soon as I finish paying my stupid credit card debt!! YES!

- The game should be designed for PHONES
I've been losing my "apetite" for the mobile scene. There are some interesting projects to be created, but the ad-supported / microtransactions model makes me sick.
For me, there's nothing like buying a physical copy of a game, pop it in your PC / Console and enjoy it. Do you remember the feeling of holding a games cartridge? ;)
I really hope this kind of "old-school" gaming comes back someday... I know it will be a niche thing, just like vinyl records are nowadays, but nonetheless I'd like to be part of it.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Regarding Box2D, I've tried some examples in B4A, B4J and C++.
As a gamer, there is something off about it I can't really explain. Everything feels... "floaty", I don't know, it doesn't feel right.

after reading a lot about box2d and also hearing the pros talking about it i think people understand box2d wrong.

the characteristics of box2d is not his physics its the collisions detection.
so box2d is really good in detecting collision. you can know where 2 bodies (or more) hit each other in what point and also in what force they hit each other so this is very important when you make games.

about the physics of course you can get a mario filling with box2d you can change the gravity of the whole world or change gravity to individual bodies with gravityscale
and like this make the game run faster.

so box2d is very flexible but again the real and important part of box2d is his collisions detection.
i really recommend you to choose it for your game and you will see that it is really awesome and simple to work with.

it saves you a lot of headache !

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
What kind of roadblocks do you face when developing a game?

For me is the motivation. I make games because I like it! I have a lot of ideas constantly, I really have fun implementing them, but... I really have to be motivated to sit down to make games... So after the failure of my last 2 games (I consider the platformer a failure, as I have about 100 daily downloads only...) I'm not in the mood for making games right now. I'm taking a break and when I feel motivated again I'll be back

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm having a coders/idea block aswell combined with more field work (utp cable pulling to improve wifi coverage) at work leaves not much time to think about ideas/prototypes either as I barely see my desk.

And I'm not in the mood either to think about it when I get home as it is too warm (32C) to be motivated again to sit behind a computer.

As part of work is school based things will calm down near the end of June till September for summer holidays so there's still hope ;)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
100 daily downloads only

i would not consider this as a failure. its just the beginning. so not that bad for the beginning.
its very hard today to success with games. i have the filling that simple games without to much graphics and animation do better.
its also take less time to create them and you may also get better result with them.
anyway i think ios is better for games then android so i am waiting for iSpritekit to get fixed (joints,..) and i will continue with my games for ios.
if they get popular i will create an android version with box2d (+libgdx).
right now i will focus on an big update for one of my apps until iSpritekit is ready. (i hope it wont take long but unfortunately it looks like the lib wont get updated)

have you considered buying b4i and create ios games @melonZgz?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i would not consider this as a failure. its just the beginning. so not that bad for the beginning.

ilan is right. while 100 doesn't seem like a high value to you it's high enough to keep your app in sight for other potential players.
that's +/- 10K installs in 3 months.

I have several apps that don't even have 100 installs after several months so they simply don't show up with "relevant" searches.

I think that gamers are way different now than 20-30 years ago. Back then you bought or pirated a game and played days/weeks on it
just because it was new in your collection till the next one arrived.

These days they check a free game and after a few minutes or hours they're bored, delete it and search for the next free game.
Which makes it a lot harder to have hooked players that play your app every day.

So keep it up as you're doing great.