Device Emulator - batch creator

mhc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey,

I have created a toolkit for the desktop. It's a batch file creator for the mobile device emulator.
Cause I have some problems to use the standalone device emulator as well as the device emulator manager.:sign0137:
The device emulator manager shows me all the different emulators installed an my PC, but I'm not able to connect to all of the listed once.(only one for PPC and one for Smartphone).
Maybe I should have installed Visual Studio - but that's not the aim!
I searched internet and found a few workarounds but they brought not really a solution.
Is there an easy way and I can't see it? Let me know.:confused:

But I saw that we can use the device emulator running on commandline with a lot of parameters. That is for myself the approach solving the task and not to waste my time.
(Please refer to the help file delivered with the Device Emulator for description of all parameters. You find it in the installation folder i.e. C:\Programme\Microsoft Device Emulator\1.0\1033\DeviceEmulator.chm).

I developed a batch file creator.
Run the app, select an image of the device (PocketPC, Smartphone, Square ... what ever), choose a skin, set a few parameters and create the batch file.
Pro image of target device emulator we have to run the batch file creator only once!
We can use the created batch file whenever we want - for cold start of the emulator.
If we want to have the possibility of a soft start - select the option "Save State" before creating the batch file. We are now able to save the state of the emulator and can start it again running the related *.dess file in windows explorer.

What we need:

Microsoft Device Emulator 3.0 -- Standalone Release
you find it here
Download details: Microsoft Device Emulator 3.0

Microsoft® Windows® CE 5.0 Device Emulator
you find it hereDownload details: Windows CE 5.0 Device Emulator
Download details: Windows CE 5.0 Device Emulator

Windows Mobile 6 Localized Emulator Images
you find it hereDownload details: Windows Mobile 6 Localized Emulator Images
Download details: Windows Mobile 6 Localized Emulator Images

and the appended batch file creator.

The batch file creator save the batch (*.BAT) and the *.dess file either in the folder of the choosed emulator or in the folder of the optional selected skin file (*.XML).

Example: C:\Programme\Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2\PocketPC\Deviceemulation\0407 or
C:\Programme\Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2\PocketPC\Deviceemulation\Pocket_pc

Everytime when you develop with B4PPC you can start the target device emulator via the batch file or - if exist - via *.dess file.
Configure the storage card (i.e. C:\Develop\Basic4ppc).
Compile your program with B4PPC for the Device.

And now we have a great advantage:
It is not necessary copying all the files to the device. Just select on the device emulator within the Storage Card the folder of your program and run it!

I hope this is useful. But let me know if there is a better way.;)

mhc

Attachments

• PPCemu.zip
    220.5 KB · Views: 350