Dijkstra's algorithm, is important?

Emme Developer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Today I had a discussion with other people about how much is important algorithm complexity and Dijkstra's algorithm. Some companies, such as Google, in a colloque asks for Dijkstra's algorithm. How much is important know this algorithm? I never studied it, but I don't think I have problem with my job..

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that there is any single algorithm that is especially important to remember. All (simple) algorithms are as far as a few Google searches.

Seems like is a valid interview question for computer science graduates. The interviewer is not really interested in the candidate knowledge but rather in his way of thinking and ability to understand CS concepts.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that there is any single algorithm that is especially important. All (simple) algorithms are as far as a few Google searches.

Seems like is a valid interview question for computer science graduates. The interviewer is not really interested in the candidate knowledge but rather in his way of thinking and ability to understand CS concepts.

I was trying to write something similar but I was blocked by the anti-spam module :D

I would have also added that, if necessary, you can search for a specific algorithm and implement it (not rarely using copy and paste :)).

Emme Developer

Licensed User
Longtime User
But unless you come in contact with such problems, it is just fun to know :)

I don't think that there is any single algorithm that is especially important to remember. The interviewer is not really interested in the candidate knowledge but rather in his way of thinking and ability to understand CS concepts.

I know some people in companies in Italy who, in an interview, don't even take you into consideration, although you are an excellent candidate, if you do not know this algorithm. And the company does not deal with something that has to do with this algorithm. The general discussion is a bit more complicate. Someone thinks that without a study in a university you can not be a developer. Someone considers also this algorithm (and hammer's algorithm) a must to be a developer. In really i don't understand why.. i can be a good developer also without never heard about this

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A simple question for those companies: how much are they going to pay for a programmer that completed his/her own university course?
I guess it will be as low as what they are inclined to pay a junior, not experienced, self-taught programmer..
So, when asked about a specific algorithm, you could begin your reply with something like "given a monthly pay of at least.. "
It's time to make them understand that if they want higher level professionalities they have to spend accordingly.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Them don't take junior programmer
That's my whole point: they pretend to hire a top programmer but to pay him/her as a junior or even less.

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think this is indeed just a question to fnd out how deep your knowledge of current algorithms is. I remember when I had my company me and my brother had tought up an exercise to find out the level of insights the cadidate had. Didn't mean this was the one question that determined if she/he had the job. But it did point out that for example by solving it with a recursive function they had seen the actual problem.

Emme Developer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Being able to manage / maintain a big project is much more important than knowing any algorithm, in my opinion. And it is even more difficult.
Yes, of course, but how a company can know if you're able to manage/mantain a project without see how you work?

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, of course, but how a company can know if you're able to manage/mantain a project without see how you work?
Asking which tools you know and which previous work you have had. This last is the main problem for you young people, especially in Italy; in many countries there is a strong "link" between schools and companies (Germany, for example).