iOS Question Do I need an Apple Developer Account forever?

Ralph Parkhurst

Licensed User
Recently I wrote an app for my iPhone, which is used to control an industrial motor controller. I registered for an Apple Developer account, as I understood that was required, even though I have no interest in distributing or selling my app via the Apple store.

My app had been working perfectly for a year, then all of a sudden I was asked by Apple to renew my Developer account - which I chose not to do. At around the same time, my app stopped functioning.

Is this just a coincidence, or do I need to retain an Apple Developer account to continue using my app.

Many thanks.

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
The certificates expire. And when they do, the App no longer runs.

You would have to jailbreak your device if you want to play outside of Apple's walled garden.

So yes, you have to keep paying apple $100 a year to allow your, or, "their" device to keep running an app you developed.

Aint it grand?

Upvote 0

Ralph Parkhurst

Licensed User
Thanks Erel and Technight. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I will re-establish my developer account.

Many thanks Erel for your sensational products and world class support.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
or do I need to retain an Apple Developer account to continue using my app.
or port to B4A, which has the bonus advantages of:

1/ wider and more reasonably priced range of hardware (my best buy was some 4" phones at $14.50)
2/ less restrictive with standard Bluetooth serial that is more commonly used by wireless relay boards etc.
3/ removable/expandable storage

so as long as you're not desperate for a gyroscope (standard with iOS, rare with Android) it's all good :)

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Ralph Parkhurst

Licensed User
or port to B4A

That is a smart idea and is actually one I have already completed - I already ported my app to B4A. In fact it was this ease of porting from one platform to another that attracted me to B4X in the first place.

I can say that the Android handles a number of things in a more elegant way, although that is best left for another post in the B4A forum.

Thanks for your suggestion Emexes - warmly appreciated.

Ralph.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I misread that line, thought you wrote Apple handles ... more elegant way at which point I instantly hit reply to dispute that assertion with vigour.

Then I realized you'd written Android, not Apple.
There are also many things that are handled "better" in iOS. Mainly the over-engineered activities life cycle...

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
USD$100 can be too much or just a "couple" dollars, it depends of our business-model.

Upvote 0

CaptKronos

Licensed User
What happens to apps on the app store when the license expires? Are the apps automatically removed from the store? What about apps that have already been downloaded; do they stop working?

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nope, becuase Apple has a certificate cache. So when your device is connected to the internet, and if te Developer is still an active paid developer, the certificates update on launch of the App.

Now, if the developer doesnt renew, all the apps get pulled from the store until that person/entity renews.

And when the cert expires on a non-renewed app, guess what. it wont run.

I dont know how long a store-signed app lasts. Reminds me, wonder if all the Flappy Bird i-Devices from back in the day died.

Upvote 0

CaptKronos

Licensed User
When you say "store-signed" does that mean apps that have been downloaded from the app store will remain operational beyond the developer's license expiry date? What I am particularly worried about are users who have paid for an app. They are going to be rather upset if their paid for app suddenly stops working.

Upvote 0

CaptKronos

Licensed User
Thanks. I am planning on renewing when the time comes but it would be a pretty awful model if, especially, paid for apps would suddenly stop working.

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
That is the unknown. I have not tested whether a store app will stop working when a developer does not renew his/hers subscription.

Now, I know developer-signed apps will in fact do so. it happens to mine every time, and I have to rebuild, re-sign, and reinstall.

Upvote 0