Do we all have supportive partners for our b4x hobby?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Quick personal question...
How do your partners feel when you want to sit up at night while they go to bed so you can work on b4x projects?

My wife says she feels unwanted, but the thing is I'm starting to make money from my b4a games and want to make more to help us financially as a family. I've told her this but she doesn't see it that way.

She's going off on maternity leave soon with our second child, so they'll be a big gap in our income coming up which I'm hoping to help with by writing more games.

How do you all find it with your partners?

Ed Brown

Licensed User
Longtime User
My wife is supportive but it wasn't always that way.
The biggest issue for me was time not spent with the family. I changed the times for when I coded to night time only. This left the day-light hours free for family. At night, everyone else is asleep allowing me to code uninterrupted and it doesn't affect those that are sleeping.

There's nothing in the rule book that says you have to both go to bed at the same time ;)

MichalK73

Licensed User
Longtime User
I understand that you just keep writing games?
I normally work from 7 to 15 on a job. Now still writes the entire job offer system on B4A and server in B4J. I also need a lot of reconciliation. If I was not working on a job I would probably finish the program and so it goes on evenings and nights. However, the spouse so far jet pity. For the time being I do not mention it and do not pretend.
I try to make every weekend for the family rather than for the work (although the weekend I have most of the time to write). Often the laptop is available anytime, and as long as I sit down and add something.
Have not you ever thought about taking someone to a company to write together? You could either write more games (better earnings) or have more time for your wife.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The emotional need of the family is as important as the economic one. You can not concentrate on a need to ignore another. You'd end up having a good bank account but not a family to use it. :p

To make an example is as if I had to choose does an old train, skinny and uncomfortable but that takes you to a destination is usually a nice train, new, fast and convenient but you do not know the destination. No one would take the new train just for the benefit that is comfortable, the thing that determines the choice is the destination.

In the family the destination is the happiness of the components and no longer material resources :D:D

I think...

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe dont call it your hobby anymore?

I tell my wife that this is my second job. So i work at night when all sleeps. Sometime she complaines so i listen to her and go to bed but most of the time she understand so i guess you need to find the balance between both. (Family and coding)

But dont look at it as a hobby anymore. Until today it was but now after you start earning money from it you should look at it as your business.

Btw buying her a nice present and telling her its from your app income may help a little. ;)

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Easy. You go to bed with her, wait 'till she's asleep and then you slip out of bed to your programming station :D

buying her a nice present
Beware that Ilan here talks about a diamond.. eheh

D

Deleted member 103

Btw buying her a nice present and telling her its from your app income may help a little. ;)
This does not always help. :(
She says that the money from my first job is enough for her. :mad:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I first discovered Basic4Ppc more than 10y ago...
My wife, now ex-wife, didn't care much, as at first it only took a few hours a week for my hobby... Later she started calling it an obsession, and even called my computer my "mistress".
Now I'm in a new relationship for 3y now, and I try to keep my hobby to after dinner/before bed hours, and we sit alongside in the sofa, her with her tablet, and me with my laptop.
I hope one day I'll be able to say it was all worth it

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Easy. You go to bed with her, wait 'till she's asleep and then you slip out of bed to your programming station :D

Beware that Ilan here talks about a diamond.. eheh

well, we're already married, so that's not a concern, although she does want an eternity ring, and that will come out of my games earnings, she's also already had a night away fro her birthday and some other things paid for out of it.

I think staying strong and telling her I'm doing a minimum of ten hours a week work on my "second job" and this will have to be every other evening will be what I stick with. I'm sure she'll not complain so much when we're buying the Tesla Model X we saw at the weekend!

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sure she'll not complain so much when we're buying the Tesla Model X we saw at the weekend!

It will be funny if people will ask you:

Friend: "Wow andy nice car. Where did you get that from?"

Andy: "ohh, few green aliens gave it to me."
;)

Sounds like space invaders is doing well?! Congratulation andy :)

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I first discovered Basic4Ppc more than 10y ago...
My wife, now ex-wife, didn't care much, as at first it only took a few hours a week for my hobby... Later she started calling it an obsession, and even called my computer my "mistress".
Now I'm in a new relationship for 3y now, and I try to keep my hobby to after dinner/before bed hours, and we sit alongside in the sofa, her with her tablet, and me with my laptop.
I hope one day I'll be able to say it was all worth it
I suggest starting a new relationship after separation only with a developer woman in b4a.

Better not repeat the mistake of marrying a woman who does not like programming

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
well, we're already married, so that's not a concern, although she does want an eternity ring, and that will come out of my games earnings, she's also already had a night away fro her birthday and some other things paid for out of it.

I think staying strong and telling her I'm doing a minimum of ten hours a week work on my "second job" and this will have to be every other evening will be what I stick with. I'm sure she'll not complain so much when we're buying the Tesla Model X we saw at the weekend!
In the meantime you've been successful enough to buy a Tesla you might have to change a couple of wives:p:p:p

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been with my partner Joanne for about 10 years now. It all started about 10 years ago when I decided to get back into software development (as self employed). Joanne has basically been 100% behind my efforts, especially as she believes that people should always follow their heart if that's what they really want to do. Luckily my invoice software solutions are now running thousands of businesses in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and I even have some sales in the USA, and I've developed a lot of bespoke business solutions for clients too. My invoicing solutions are developed in Visual Studio, my bespoke solutions were mainly also developed in Visual Studio, but lately (last few years) I've been developing some bespoke Android solutions for clients using B4A.

I will admit something though @andymc. In the early days I could easily be coding for 18+ hour straight for days on end (the server edition of my software has just over 40,000 lines of code or 40 KLOC), especially as I can be a bit of a perfectionist, I will gladly scrap a few hundred lines of code if I know I can get it running faster with less lines, even if my solution is already working perfectly fine and the end user would never know the difference. I have what my partner Jo (Joanne) says is an intensive one track mind. When I set my mind to something I get tunnel vision and almost nothing else matters apart from family. But in reality it's just that I don't like stoping when I'm on a roll and I want to do things quickly but properly. It does not matter if I'm working on my summer car (Triumph Spitfire), working on the house (complete new kitchen and bathroom including wiring and tiling), I just like to do the best and get things perfect, even if I'm doing it at 3am in the morning.

I was in a different position to you though, you already have a full time 9 to 5 job. I was a self employed network engineer who finally got fed up of constantly going out from one business to another working and networks and fixing computers, it really got me down. I sold my network customers database to a colleague of mine (thus I then had no income coming in) as I just wanted to develop a business invoicing solution and sell that to businesses, I also wanted to developed bespoke solutions for clients too.

Jo has put up with a lot of late nights with me staying up coding. Sometimes in the past (many moons ago) I've even decided not to go to bed at 5am or 6am in the morning knowing that Jo will be waking up at 6:15 to start getting ready for work, so I would get everything ready for her including breakfast in bed and making her lunch for work.

These days I no longer have to work silly long hours as I now get a steady stream of sales and I also have another money stream coming in.

I do know exactly where you are coming from though Andy. At first even though Joanne was 100% behind me and wanted to see me succeed, she would say at times she felt that I preferred to be coding rather than snuggling up to her in bed which was 100% incorrect and I seriously did feel bad about that. It was just that I had given up my previous work and I wanted to start making money again as quickly as humanly possible. At the time that was my main goal as Jo knows once I put my mind to something I just want it completed.

These days I don't work as hard (even though I'm thinking about setting up a bespoke IoT solutions business thanks to B4R). I still have tunnel vision when working, but as I now have a steady income I don't have the urge to code for 18+ hours per day these days. Jo did understand that back then I did feel under pressure to bring money in even though in reality I have plenty of savings and Jo is a really high earner, she an EU initiative project manager. Actually I now remember that back then Jo actually told me to take a year off from worrying about anything so that I could concentrate on my coding and also not to worry about anything especially money as she had all that covered, but me taking a year off was never ever going to happen, and she should have known that was never ever going to happen. That was another reason why I decided to just code late nights, I had to finish my software, and within 4 months V2 (actually it was V1 but in my mind V1 didn't sound good) of my invoicing software solutions was finished and I started to get sales, within a year of releasing V2 sales just took off and being number one on Google search results at the time helped to no end.

Anyway Andy, I for one fully understand your predicament, you should say to your wife that it's more of a potential secondary income stream rather than a hobby. I'm really lucky to have an understanding partner in Jo who does understand what my end goals are for both of us, and it's not just for the holidays either. It's not easy trying to follow a passion when you also have a full time job and a family. I know you are very passionate about your B4A coding as I remember reading somewhere that you coded your flappy birds (I think it was flappy birds) clone on the train ride to and from work, that's dedication for you.

Hopefully your hard work and dedication to your coding at home (especially space invaders) will pay off shortly for you and in a good way.

Sorry about the loooooooooooooong response.

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for all the useful replies, very useful.
Invaders has had 292,872 downloads as of today, and has 64,000 active users. The upgraded version invaders deluxe has just got to 26,000 downloads, with an active install base of 10,209 users. So I'm really happy about all that and it makes me really motivated to work on more games. I've part way through a new space shooter which a vertical scrolling game, with waves of aliens attacking in different formations, it's similar in design to Galaga wars, which I love playing. I have plans for a series of four of these types of games. I also have the basics of a cannon fodder clone working, it's a bigger game, but I have 24 levels already written from ten years ago when I did it on PC and nearly got published by a PC budget games publisher (they went bankrupt).
Then there's more games I want to work on but it's having the time to do it.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Almost 300k installs. Thats amazing!

Maybe making simple games is a better idea then complex platformer :(

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
thanks Ilan, yes I think making simple arcade games conversions is a good move for more download. I was going to do a missile command game but that doesn't look very popular. Vertical scrollers are more popular so I'll work on that.

Regarding big projects, my cannon fodder clone will need a lot of work and that puts me off working on it as I worry that no one will play it. I do write game for my own pleasure, but I also want lots of poeople to play my games so writing simpler arcade clones is working better right now.

Descartex

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, partners.
My main job is on a windshields factory, with 3 rotating work shifts.
I can say that I would not have back to code seriously if it was not for the push my wife gave me. She has always believed in me, even on some occasions more than myself.
I had decided years ago that I would not to code for anyone else, because a pirate deceived me a few years ago. She had always told me: "It's what you like most, go ahead, fight for it, not everyone is the same."
I trusted her, obviously, she/they are from another advanced specie. So I started to code at nights, while the boy and she were sleeping. I enjoyed to change sleep time for coding (I still enjoying it)
After that, I discovered this platform and it has been a springboard for the final takeoff.
Last 4 years, I can not complain about customers, whenever I have finished a job, I have appeared as much or more challenging than the previous one, which has made me improve a lot.
Even it helped me to carry on while my child got ill last 2 years. I can not imagine what could be with my mind if I did not have this "getaway" while I had to stay at the hospital with him. It was an awful time, fortunately, all this seems to be part of the past.
Economically, it was a really needed help, we really was having a bad streak and it helped to avoid to sink us.
I apreciate too much the help of all the people of this forum, it cheers me to help as much as i can.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I haven't read the whole thread (yet), so I'm not sure if my advice is still relevant.
Anyway, here it goes...

Whatever you do, do not neglect your family.
As we all know, coding is a very time consuming activity, often requiring an uninterrupted though process.
This is hard to achieve when you have a spouse, but believe me, once she feels unwanted, things can only start to go downhill from there.
Remember, once you lose your peace of mind, you won't even be able to code anymore.

Care for the ones you love, be supportive and surely you'll be supported as well.
If possible, try to share your daily victories and accomplishments with her, include her in the process, make her feel like she's part of it.

You'll soon find out how great can be working as a team. :)

Best of luck!!