Do you like HAM radio communication ?

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I do like HAM radio communication and big rigs but, since I have moved to a new country, I had no time to study how to convert my HAM license.
And I have discovered Hamsphere which is for me a new way of communication : the HAM radio feeling without the antenna size troubles.

I have invested some dollars in my virtual equipment to build my perfect rig and buy some antennas. The virtual radio is opened and I can listen many countries exactly as if I was operating my own rig.

And they do have an Android app to act as a portable station too :)

HS.png

Last edited:

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was never one of those HAM people ;)

I used loved my Cobra 148 GDL-DX and my Superstar 360FM back in the day. And yes I did all my own crystal mods etc as I was a mini rig doctor and my rigs went from triple lo to double hi :cool:

What used to really annoyed me was the fact that myself and a friend or two would be chatting on frequencies on double or triple lo, and some HAM guy would jump on an say that we were not allows to be talking on those frequencies(which was true). But at the same time the HAM guy should also not be transmitting on those frequencies either, not even to tell us that we shouldn't be down these(breach of license) :)

When I sold my kit on eBay a few years ago, some HAM guy reported me for selling rigs with both Mid Block and UK 40 on them at the same time, eBay took them down. I then quickly re-listed my rigs at a high price buy it now price and they sold instantly. The HAM guy on eBay did me a favour, bloody idiot :)

I'm sorry but I have absolutely NO respect for HAM radio people, most of them let their dam license get to their tiny little brains. Myself and Ian were seriously considering getting our licenses, especially after I got a couple of Yaesu's to play with. We read all the information necessary, we memorised it with ease, but then when we were supposed to take the test in Birmingham city centre, I decided to have a party instead. What a great party that was :cool:

Those were the days...

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
when I was MUCH younger, I was into DX-ing i.e. listening to radio-stations from all the world on the Shortwave bands. What a joy it was when from Sweden I managed to tune in to a small South-American radio station and get an ID.

Those were the days......

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
About radio DX-ing, last year, near Paris, I have stopped my car while suddenly I had understood I was listening an Italian radio station on FM with my car radio. I have called them and they didn't want to believe it... Times had changed :)

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you mean numerous mysterious stations, YES this is the one :D

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I did 27mhz FM for a few years, even built my own 1/4 wave hearth ground antenna with near perfect stationary relation. I tried DX, but not exhaustively.

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tried DX, but not exhaustively.
DX on one band only (here the 27 Mhz) was effectively somehow hard and for the most patient people. HAM do have more bands to work on. They choose them depending on the possible propagation conditions.
In fact, a licensed HAM do DX on a daily basis while the CB operator can do DX only when the propagation is good.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yeap
DX on one band only (here the 27 Mhz) was effectively somehow hard and for the most patient people. HAM do have more bands to work on. They choose them depending on the possible propagation conditions.
In fact, a licensed HAM do DX on a daily basis while the CB operator can do DX only when the propagation is good.
Yeap. The best I managed to do was our neighbours the Spanish. Still, for standard 5W station I guess it was not that bad (-+80km).