Do you understand Swahili ?

johnmie

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
my database is in English, but some users of my program may have difficulty with that.

Take the case of a health care worker in rural Uganda who has to assist a complicated childbirth where the nearest doctor is 3 hours away and no Internet is available.

Now he/she can

1. enter a search term in Swahili
  2. the program translates it into English (using Google Translate on-line or off-line if the right language pack is installed)
  3. and launches a search
  4. returns 1-n documents containing the English word in title, description, abstract or keywords and displays the translation thereof
  5. user clicks on an item to see title and description translated into his/her own language.
This works fine so far, but now I would like to add speech recognition and text-to-speech in any of the languages supported by Google Translate (or another viable translator).

This would be particularly useful if the item found is a tutorial video which would be most helpful in an emergency situation. He/she may or may not be able extract the required knowledge without understanding the English voice-over.

I found lots of good advice on this forum, but not on how to recognize or return speech in other languages. Does anyone have a good idea?

Thanks for your help,

john m.

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
my database is in English, but some users of my program may have difficulty with that.

Take the case of a health care worker in rural Uganda who has to assist a complicated childbirth where the nearest doctor is 3 hours away and no Internet is available.

Now he/she can

1. enter a search term in Swahili
  2. the program translates it into English (using Google Translate on-line or off-line if the right language pack is installed)
  3. and launches a search
  4. returns 1-n documents containing the English word in title, description, abstract or keywords and displays the translation thereof
  5. user clicks on an item to see title and description translated into his/her own language.
This works fine so far, but now I would like to add speech recognition and text-to-speech in any of the languages supported by Google Translate (or another viable translator).

This would be particularly useful if the item found is a tutorial video which would be most helpful in an emergency situation. He/she may or may not be able extract the required knowledge without understanding the English voice-over.

I found lots of good advice on this forum, but not on how to recognize or return speech in other languages. Does anyone have a good idea?

Thanks for your help,

john m.

Hi,
May be my understanding is too slow but couldn't follow you at all. what exactly do you want? Sawahili translator
or general TTS and VR examples?

johnmie

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
May be my understanding is too slow but couldn't follow you at all. what exactly do you want? Sawahili translator
or general TTS and VR examples?
I can translate English to Swahili using Google Translate, but I cannot have the translation read out in Swahili (but it works with French).
john m.