Votes: 9 33.3%
  • What is version control?

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you use any form of version control software such as Git?
Is your code safely secured online?
Should I write a small tutorial to get things started? EDIT: Done.

I'm currently using Gitlab and I'm really happy with it!

Let's discuss it!

Last edited:

ac9ts

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hobby developer here. I build the project, copy ObfuscatorMap.txt, clean the project, re-store ObfuscatorMap.txt for later reference/crash report debug, and then zip the directory. The zip is named for the version and stored on Google Drive. I also keep a change log.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't use "professional" stuff. When i want to backup code i put it into google drive.

The zip is named for the version and stored on Google Drive.

I used to do the same with Dropbox... Then I realized how further superior and faster is to use git. I highly recommend everyone to give it a try. :)

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use GitHub.

Last edited:

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I only use my PC and as a backup my NAS server.
My data stays with me at home.;)

View attachment 56878
I use the same Filippo system, and once daily the Cloud Software (Megabox) automatically transfers everything to my remote HD.

Use 3 different Cloud Software: Google Drive, DropBox, MegaBox each to save different data.

For the source of the software I preferred MegaBox because it is more versatile and you can choose the folders of your HardDisk to share, which can not be done on others that impose a single folder where to put the material to share.
Plus you give 50Gb free

Last edited:

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use Onedrive as a Backup system

I'd like to use a real versioning system but they're too complex; I do versioning copying .b4a file and changing it's name (also changing a global variable that sets the version)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I use the zip method after publishing an update like @ac9ts combined with the source folder being in a dropbox structure so it has restore "versioning" there aswell.

I used Tortoise (with GitLab) once or twice when working with multiple people on a (C64) project.
I didn't like it and it sometimes messes up things if you didn't stick to the right order. (commit, pull, whatever)

eurojam

Licensed User
Longtime User
it seems that some items are mixed in this discussion: backup on the one side is very important but version control (what the discussion should be) is something different and makes it easier to develop your software, e.g. developing new features in different branches, or if many people are developing one project. @wonder: thanks a lot for your tutorial!!

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm just learning to use git at work, it's complicated so far, seems like a lot of work to just check in one file, we use a remote resource so I have to submit a pull request to have someone else review and commit my new code to the main version from my fork.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm just learning to use git at work, it's complicated so far, seems like a lot of work to just check in one file, we use a remote resource so I have to submit a pull request to have someone else review and commit my new code to the main version from my fork.
While I have to agree that, at work, Git can become really complex, for a single developer at home, Git is FANTASTIC!