Android Question Downloading apk file from website works on Android2.2.3 but not on 4.1.2

Gerrard

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wanted to test downloading an apk file from a website. So I uploaded the apk to the website.
Then I used a Samsung P1000 Tablet (Android 2.2.3) to go to the website and download the apk. All worked 100% and I was able to install the apk on the Tablet.

Then I used a Samsumg S6810 phone (Android 4.1.2), went to the website and selected the apk for download. The download happened, but it arrived as a zip file and not an apk file.

Can you help?
Regards
Gerrard

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What did you get when you unzipped the file?

Edit:
Give this a shot
Try to download the file in your PC (not the device), unzip it and see if the result is apk.. then copy it to the device and from there install it.

Upvote 0

Gerrard

Licensed User
Longtime User
What did you get when you unzipped the file?

Edit:
Give this a shot
Try to download the file in your PC (not the device), unzip it and see if the result is apk.. then copy it to the device and from there install it.
Hi Beja
On the phone I used Winzip to "look" at the file, and it showed the following files:
AndroidManifest.xml, main.bal, classes.dex, ANDROIDD.DSA, ANDROIDD.SF, MANIFEST.MF, icon.png, and resources.arsc.
There was no apk file.

On my PC the file downloads correctly as an apk file. Also on my tablet the file downloads correctly as an apk file.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There was no apk file.
it IS the apk-file you have looked in.

Try to rename the somewhat.zip to somewhat.apk and then try to install it again...

Maybe you just should use httputils2 to download the apk. dont know what software rename it to an zip if the original file has an apk extension...
httputils2 will work fine for such tasks

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
On my PC the file downloads correctly as an apk file. Also on my tablet the file downloads correctly as an apk file.

Ok, then as I mentioned, use the PC (not the device) to unzip the file, then copy the APK file to the device and install it from there

good luck.

Upvote 0