DrawingBoard, hummmm.....I wonder....

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Taximania had once, and recently re-vamped, a thread were he stated:
"Back to the drawing Board..."

So I wonder....
How does one start the designing of an app.
What are Your initial steps...
How do you takle the problem...

THIS IS POLL of some sort...
Not a real doubt...
Just to have an idea how to best start the designing and coding...Tricks and Tips are apreciated...

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Of course I go first...
Hum...
I like to start rigth away coding, and then sort the issues/problems as they occour...
That sometimes forces me to re-start my project several times...
Still looking for a more structured way of doing things, but the coding rush is stronger....

bdiscount

Licensed User
1st Screen layou(Designer)
2nd Init variables
3rd Get input
4th Set output
5th Exit(with init)
These can be broken up in subsets

Zenerdiode

Licensed User
With me, it is all quite woolly; I have an idea in my head and start by trying to code straight away. I know this is wasteful, maybe I should write everything down on paper and start from there.

I'm also terrible for test-running my code virtually line by line; so I'll write a line, test, then another. I should trust myself a little more! Sometimes I will stare at the screen for ages and other times it flows. I don't always know how much to put in each sub, to either keep them as lean as possible or have one sub handling an entire area of the application.

I suppose I should submit a couple of projects for you lot to pull apart!

Last edited:

Jonathon

Here's is how I do it with most of my apps I build.

1> Get some basic idea of what the client wants, as in DB type, Graphics and so on.

2> Start designing a rough draft of the GUI (Window, Buttons, EditFields, etc.) and then allowing the client to check it to see if it to there liking.

3> Once GUI has been setup, then hard coding begins (which is the fun part).

4> Let Client test out the rough app, and make any mods if so needed.

5> Finish coding of all parts (DB, Graphics, etc.), then let client test it out. If any issues, then it can be fixed quickly.

6> When app is 99% complete, start working on the Help file as doing so before is just a waste of time as you set one thing in the help file then if it changes, you have to change not only the code but now the help file.

7> Beta Stage - Let the client test out the app that is now 99.99% completed with help file and all DB parts working.

8> If client likes it then finish the software, if not then fix the issues that need to be addressed.

9> Completed Application - Give client the software and recieve payment (but in my case I give most of my software away.)

10> On to the next application project!

Not sure if would help anyone but this is how I do it.

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
No1. Check that the application you want to produce does
not fall under the 'Intelectual Copyright' of somebody else.

Ha ha ha ha :sign0060:

No2. Buy Basic4ppc :sign0188: , to Erel and his team.

My 'Caller, Text' app V2.Beta for WinMobile will be posted soon.
I like the features, but can take critisism ;)