Error: unfortunately package installer has stopped

flyingbag

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
I am new to android development. I created an app which has some external libraries (like Geocoder) and also my own code and service modules

When i Run the App with B4A bridge on my Samsung Galaxy S3 OR AVD it runs fine. NO problem.

However - i want to send the app to a few of my friends by email to test it out. I tried installing the .APK file on my own phone by downloading the package file sent by email. But it gives the error "unfortunately package installer has stopped" I am not sure what is the problem. If i just do a compile and Run - wireless on b4a bridge - the app just works fine
So looks like some problem in deployment or i am making some mistake?
Appreciate your help.
Here is my manifest file contents. My phone runs Android v 4.0.4

AddManifestText(
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="4" />
<supports-screens android:largeScreens="true"
android:normalScreens="true"
android:smallScreens="true"
android:anyDensity="true"/>)
SetApplicationAttribute(android:icon, "@drawable/icon")
SetApplicationAttribute(android:label, "$LABEL$")
'End of default text.

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Your friends will (i think) have to enable installation of apps from 'Unknown sources'.

Go to Settings > Applications and you'll see a checkbox that by default is unchecked- it's named 'Unknown sources'.

It's a security setting so that users can only install apps from the Play Store, so will need to be checked to enable them to install your app.

I don't think this is related to your original question - but thought i'd mention it anyway!

Martin.

Upvote 0

ericvanderhoeven

Licensed User
Longtime User
Shoot!

Guys,

I have a similar problem. All of a sudden, every attempt to install ANY app results in a consistent package installer stopped failure.

I have the Samsung Note set to allow unknown installations since the start in order to bypass the Play store. Worked like a gem before. Now it is a no go via B4Abridge or via transferring the APK and then install it manually on the device. Un-installing the app doesn't help.

Resetting the phone doesn't help as well.

In short = I'm buggered... :signOops:

Upvote 0