EU VAT, Brexit and me

nwhitfield

Licensed User
Longtime User
This may not apply to many here, but I thought I'd share, just in case it's useful to anyone.

Essentially, as of today if you're selling physical items to people in the EU - my social network raises funds via merch sales - you need to be charging VAT at the rate applicable in the recipients country. If, like me, you are based in the UK and so your business is no longer inside the Single Market, this can be a major headache, especially for small businesses.

I think I've got something set up that will work; time will tell. It involves Estonian e-residency, and I've explained a lot more details in a post on my own blog.

j_o_h_n

Licensed User
This may not apply to many here, but I thought I'd share, just in case it's useful to anyone.

Essentially, as of today if you're selling physical items to people in the EU - my social network raises funds via merch sales - you need to be charging VAT at the rate applicable in the recipients country. If, like me, you are based in the UK and so your business is no longer inside the Single Market, this can be a major headache, especially for small businesses.

I think I've got something set up that will work; time will tell. It involves Estonian e-residency, and I've explained a lot more details in a post on my own blog.

Excellent article, thanks. Brexit is a pain, both for people in the UK and for EU people outside the UK who were used to buying from there.