Share My Creation Extend Bluetooth range to 2000m

BT_RF.png
Hello all,
Not sure if I posted this before..
Bluetooth range is about 20 meters.. But at some situations you may want to extend that range to longer distance.. the idea is to send the data to an external Bluetooth module (HC-6) next to the phone. that BT
module is further connected to wireless RF data transceiver.. The receiver should be the same type as the
RF Radio (not Bluetooth). If Bluetooth input is needed at the other side then just connect another BT module to the RS485 (TTL) out put of the receiving RF radio.

BT2RF.png

Some people asked me for more details.. In fact I didn't make much modifications to Erel's Bluetooth example, so it can be used AS IS.. On the other hand, the radio I am using now is a 2km RF data transceiver that can be found on Amazon for about $7. there are so many versions and brands but the basic functions are the same.. just make sure the one you buy has TTL interface so you can directly connect it to the RF radio.. Another thing you must cross the Rx/Tx wires, so that the Rx of the BT module is connected to the Tx of the radio.

In this drawing I explained some useful connections that are self-explanatory.

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Great! Can you please let us know which RF module is used?
regards,

Sure I will.. Compiling more information including the b4a app.
By the end of the day will be updated.

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
Bluetooth range is about 20 meters.
maybe you're forgetting BLE 5.

my test BLE 5~ 300mts, without external antenna..
Nordic tested them on over 750mts without external antenna..

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
maybe you're forgetting BLE 5.

my test BLE 5~ 300mts, without external antenna..
Nordic tested them on over 750mts without external antenna..

The word "extend" was misnomer.. In fact this is not extending BT but converting BT signals to RF.. In doing this you are outside the BT domain and xmission range is defined only by the radio you are using, that it may go to hundreds of miles, regardless of obstacles, walls and all BT limitations (5 is not exception).

Edit:
RF gives you the ability to broadcast to unlimited receivers, a thing you can't do with BT except in a very limited scenario and through a lot of hassles

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
Edit:
RF gives you the ability to broadcast to unlimited receivers, a thing you can't do with BT except in a very limited scenario and through a lot of hassles

keep an eye over BLE 5 mesh, in my side work/test in progress..