"Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_CONTAINER_ERROR]" when compiling the HelloWorld example

hexitol

Hello,

I have an android tablet called Touchlet in Germany (also sold as Bluepanther Thunder in other parts of the world). When I connect it via USB to my PC it goes into the USB debugging state (as indicated on the message section of the android screen) and a Java program compiled under Eclipse is correctly (1) compiled, (2) transferred to the device & (3) automatically started there, so that I assume that my "SDK chain" (Adb, AVD etc.) is correct.

Of course, I have read the instructions for "Connecting my device to the IDE" (a WIFI connection using ADB does not work).

However, whenever I use Android4PPC and try to compile the HelloWorld example from the tutorials (with my tablet attached and in USB debugging mode), I get the following output:

Compiling code. 0.02
Generating R file. 0.00
Compiling generated Java code. 1.58
Convert byte code - optimized dex. 0.73
Packaging files. 0.34
Signing package file (debug key). 0.59
ZipAlign file. 0.03
Installing file to device. Error
pkg: /data/local/tmp/Hello.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_CONTAINER_ERROR]

Restarting ADB Server may solve this problem.
Tools - Restart ADB Server. Device serial: 0123456789ABCDEF

Doing the latter (i.e. restarting the ADB server) does not help (BTW: How can I observe that this command is correctly executed, i.e. that the server is indeed restarted?)

I would definitely prefer writing programs by using Basic4Android instead of Java, since the learning curve of the former is (not only in my view) by far less steep than of the latter, so that results come faster. However, at the current state this is not possible for me at all.

Obviously the "pure" Basic4Android compiling process works, but not the communication with the device to transfer the program, although I assume (based on my above observations) that my tablet is able to communicate.

Any ideas and suggestions are greatly welcome.

hexitol

Uncheck the option Tools - Can Install to external storage and see if it helps.

That's it! It Works!:sign0060:

(Just for other users, who may wish to profit from this hint:

This option can be found in the Project menu, not in the Tools section, and must be set individually for every project).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But what is the problem reason ? It's not a normal situation for all actual applications, without SD card support.

UPD: emulator memory limit problem. Bigger SD card setting is needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0