Forum Permissions

Ray Y

Why, when I go to download an example attached to a post in these forums, am I sometimes told I don't have permission to do so?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For B4a and B4i you need to be a licensed user, meaning, to have bought a licence for the software in question.

Ray Y

Hummm...that makes no sense to me on two levels:

1) I was specifically trying to get to:
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4x-xml2map-simple-way-to-parse-xml-documents.74848/
which explicitly states that module works on B4J. But since it's posted in the Android forum, I can't use it in B4J unless I purchase B4A?

2) There is a evaluation version of B4A available without purchase. So, I can download it but I can't learn to use it with the forum examples unless I purchase it?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
2) There is a evaluation version of B4A available without purchase. So, I can download it but I can't learn to use it with the forum examples unless I purchase it?
Only attachments under B4A and B4i additional libraries forum are restricted. So you can test most examples.
The reason behind it is simple. It is an incentive for B4A developers who use a cracked version to purchase a license.

1) I was specifically trying to get to:
If there is any specific cross platform library that you need then send an email to [email protected] and we will send it to you. Also remember that you can purchase B4A standard and you will have full and permanent access to the forum.

Ray Y

It's not so much that I NEED a library, but I'm new to the whole B4x thing, so I'm learning and experimenting. Ergo, I'd like to look at and try as many examples as I can. I am currently using B4J and want to try the XML stuff you posted. But I can't because it's in the Android forum.

And, (stating again), if I was trying the B4A evaluation version, I still won't be able to get to the examples even in the Android forum.

I certainly understand your reasoning, but things like this tend to drive me up the wall when I'm evaluating a product. I once tried to get an evaluation version of some software and they required so much personal information, then a phone call to them, and a sales call back to me that I gave up, and they lost a very potential (and lucrative) sale.

Anyway, my point is, I see it from the side of trying to get as many people interested in a product as easily as possible. Rising waters and all that. I know it's a battle with the pirates, but still, I have always tried to keep my software away from them using methods that don't punish my existing or (especially) my potential users/customers.

Might I at least suggest that a library (such as your XML class) that is germane/useable to both B4A and B4J at least be posted in the B4J forum so us J'ers can get to it?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would profit of this to make a wish.
With the growing of the cross-platform libraries and examples, I think it's time to a dedicated B4X sub-forum

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it's time to a dedicated B4X sub-forum
+1

ps: ok, I know, we should open a new thread in the Bug&Wishes section..and we'll do it (I let @Cableguy to start it)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately there's no Forum wide wish sub-forum...

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's like when you want to buy a car. You can test it for a short time but then you need to buy it or not. It's NOT to check ALL functions for months or so. Looking at the price it's more than fair. You can use B4J to test everything 90% same code) as it is free. So I do not see a problem.