B4J Question freezing B4j for short periods

Status
Not open for further replies.

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
something really annoying. With the latest B4j during typing/editing B4J freezes, after short while you see a turning circle, and then after 10-20 seconds the editor goes on again.
Happens many times when you are typing, scrolling of what ever.
Looks a bit like the program needs some time to sort things or update the database.

If you are typing and the program blocks, then you will see the typed chars after 10-20 seconds and busniss goes on again.

This wasnt in older releases...

Using a very fast laptop (i7) with lots of memory

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Disabled implicit auto completion (tools - IDE options) and the Auto Backups and see if it makes a difference (at least you will know if one of those is causing it).

I used to have this some versions ago, but this worked for me. I was at the time working in a VMware machine and have now moved for some time my projects to a fast SSD on USB3 and hadn't any issue any more since then.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Disabled implicit auto completion (tools - IDE options) and the Auto Backups and see if it makes a difference (at least you will know if one of those is causing it).

I used to have this some versions ago, but this worked for me. I was at the time working in a VMware machine and have now moved for some time my projects to a fast SSD on USB3 and hadn't any issue any more since then.
Ok, disabled both, auto complete and backup.... Let's see what happens now.

My B4A (8.80) does this as well. I disabled Auto Backs only in A to see what happens with it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I forgot to mention: Sometimes I will get the Windows Dialog ("Program is Not Responding - Wait or Close"). (both A and J)
And when it is compiling, the compile window will have a black border around it (frozen), then continue after a period... (both A and J)
All my projects are large...

I re-enabled autocomplete in J (backups is still OFF) - and it seems to work fine now.

Perhaps if backups could detect a period of inactivity after the 10 minute mark before proceeding.
Now it seems, as soon as code changes, backups jumps on and delays you...
Or, run in separate thread (not in main).

Thanks

Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel wrote in the other topic that it is running in the main thread. But indeed a backup when you type 10 chars is too much. Keep it every half hour or 1 hour. That's enough

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
the freezing issue is 100% related to the backup feature. After disabling it didnt happen again.
might be that the freezing happens every 10 min but got more the idea it happens when you start scrolling/typing

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it happens when you start scrolling/typing

Yes, if the IDE is just sitting idle, nothing happens (for hours)... Scroll or type - bring on the spinning circle of delay....
Sometimes, the B4A or B4J app (IDE) will terminate (close, crash, shut down).
I also have both A and J ide's open (sometimes 2 - 3 of both running different projects).

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try to disable the auto backup and see if it still happens.
I (we) did...
It does NOT happen when disabled (freezing, reboot, all strange behaviour before you introduced autoback functionality - with all good intention).

Thanks

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
One example of backups...
Now I shall post a Export as Zip next...

upload_2019-4-22_22-42-59.png

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
test.zip - 2304 kb - of same project.

Same as above image of backups...

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
2mb is quite small. How long does it take for Export As Zip to complete?
milliseconds...

When auto-backup performs it's duties, minutes... Strange beans indeed...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
C:\Users\mhw\Downloads\mhwfcm\FilePicker

This is my project root folder for this project.

Normally, I have a ProjectApps folder, off the root of C:\Anywhere Software\Basic4android8.8...

However, a folder is just a folder...?

I need to retire now, nearing midnite here in Kamloops, BC.
Need my beauty sleep - cause I am one ugly SOB, as many can attest...

Thanks and good luck with this.

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Need my beauty sleep - cause I am one ugly SOB, as many can attest...

From a comics strip of decades ago: "oh my, don't say that, today cosmetics does miracles! " :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.